We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

Humble, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

Going to Cozumel for a dive trip. Want to bring one diver's knife for

any emergency that could arise. What are the rules. Will my knife be

confiscated by the Mexican airport officials.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

Not a diver, so not 100% sure, but I don't think you're allowed to dive with a knife on Coz.

Here's an older link: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k20487…

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

Hubby is a diver. He has diving scissors for those "emergencies". Not sure about diving with a knife, but I bring them for our condo kitchen. As long as its been in our checked luggage, there has never been a problem. Obviously, you can't carry it on the plane.

http://www.amazon.com/Dive-Rite-Titanium-Shears-Daisy/dp/B003AJG9X0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370189116&sr=8-1&keywords=dive+shears

Edited: 02 June 2013, 17:05
Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

They may take a knife if it looks like an "offensive weapon". My old gigantic shark-stabber from 1980 might be an example. Cozumel is a premier world-wide dive destination, so they're quite used to seeing (reasonable) dive knives.

As SimplyRedMN has done, we've brought a suitcase full of knives to our house with no difficulty at all.

As Desmei points out, you're not even supposed to have a knife (or gloves) in your possession within the marine park. We have always dived with some sort of line cutter, but I'll note I've never seen monofilament within the marine park. I dive with a folding dive knife in my BCD pocket. That has never presented a problem and I've never taken it out.

The only use to which I've ever put a dive knife in Cozumel over years of visits and hundreds of dives has been cutting up mangoes and limes back when we used to stay in hotels.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

Oh, and DON'T carry a dive knife (even a small folder) around in town.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

I have a dive knife that has a holder attached to my BC. Never had a problem.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,697 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

See.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k19683…

AND

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k30110…

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

Knives are no problem as long as it is in your checked baggage coming and going. A folder or a pair of shears works great. Because most of the west side is in the marine park you are not suppose to carry knives or wear gloves. I've seen both over the years. I have a sheath knife in a nylon holster that has been on the left side of my BP/W and no one has ever said a thing.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
646 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

Leave it at home. Knives are not allowed in the marine sanctuary.

Tell him to get a line cutter or something other than a knife if he feels the need to have something like that. But since fishing is outlawed in the sanctuary, there is never any line to get tangled in, and hence no need for a knife.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

I have seen people fishing in the marine park so do not assume that the fishing line entanglement hazard is zero.

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing a diver's knife into Cozumel

I always have a knife attached to my bc, never had anyone question it.........