We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Days

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,053 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Days

Some statistics here showing number of vacation days and holidays by country. Those of us from the US really come out on the short end of this.

cepr.net/index.php/…no-vacation-nation-2013

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Days

I am pretty happy with 3 weeks vacation.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Days

i am certain we would all cringe if we knew how much vacation the people of Cozumel are granted

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,053 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Days

Yes, most no paid vacation. Of course the Mexicans do take many holidays both official and non official. I used to ask the children of my friends why they were out of school and they didnt know--only that it was another holiday and no school.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Days

Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece.

Insolvent.

But dang, the holiday scale is nice.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Days

@ Itravelutour.... Good point... Someone has to pay for all of that paid leisure time.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Days

The holidays of the countries you mention, Itravel, have not changed over the years, the world economy has. Simplistic correlations make for snappy comments, nothing more. Countries with meager holiday entitlements have not weathered the storm too well either.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Days

Canada seems to have weathered the storm quite well and we are near the bottom

8. Re: Vacation Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 21:35
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation Days

The chart only follows what a country mandates....not what employers actually give. There are ways that countries skirt these mandates too -- by using contract workers or part-time employees. Things aren't always as they seem at first glance. Many people in the U.S. have weeks and weeks worth of paid vacation and paid holidays. Agree....many do not and could use some help.

However, of the 20+ countries mentioned, LT points to 5 that are having financial difficulties....doesn't that leave a large majority who give lengthy vacation time and are still solvent? I think I have to agree with BeCoz on this. It wasn't vacations that got Spain et al into financial trouble.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation Days

For about 25 years I owned my own business, and though I often worked a lot of hours, I could sometimes take off when things were slow. (Guess where I usually went!)

With the changes in my industry, the economy, and problems getting insurance while being self employed, I decided to go to work for someone else.

I like my job, but the biggest change has been only getting 2 weeks vacation a year, and then picking my days AFTER several others have already picked the days they wanted...