We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant cross contamination for non seafood eaters

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
262 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant cross contamination for non seafood eaters

My wife is seafood lover. My teenagers & I are allergic (extremely) to shellfish. I know the places that specialize get rave reviews from most people (ex. La Perlita ,Concetta Del Caribe, Albino's & others ) Are there menu items (chicken or something) that are available for us & are they able to limit contamination so that we can eat as a family ? Otherwise I will order her take out seafood or send her there with her lady friends while the kids & I go somewhere neareby We do not carry epi pens everywhere & would rather not deal with the risk

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant cross contamination for non seafood eaters

Availability of non-seafood items at seafood restaurants varies. When my non-seafood-eating father-in-law was most recently at La Perlita, there was literally nothing they'd let him order that wasn't seafood. (Others have insisted that they've been able to order vegetable plates or rice.) La Conchita del Caribe does have some non-seafood items.

Cozumel restaurants are quite able to deal with avoiding cross-contamination in terms of general food safety, but just as you probably wouldn't go to Red Lobster and order the hamburger without assuming there would still be some risk, you probably should avoid seafood specialty restaurants in Cozumel (or anywhere in the world).

If you are allergic enough to have an epinephrine autoinjector, you are allergic enough not to eat anywhere, ever, without it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant cross contamination for non seafood eaters

If you are allergic enough to have an epinephrine autoinjector, you are allergic enough not to eat anywhere, ever, without it.

Agree !!!!! Why would you risk your kids, if not yourself - take the Epi pens!!! everywhere. As a medical professional I hate to think about the number of people I have had die in emerg because they did not take their pen with them.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant cross contamination for non seafood eaters

Agree, contamination risks exist many places (I don't recall seeing a menu in Mexico without seafood tbh. An epi pen will not reverse an allergic reaction - it buys you time for you to get medical attention. On an island, where you don't speak the language, time is exactly what you need to locate appropriate medical help.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant cross contamination for non seafood eaters

What Charbay said! I couldn't say it better. Take the pens! What the big deal?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant cross contamination for non seafood eaters

As a vegan(by choice) its not a super huge deal for me when cross contamination happens, like it would be for you and your kids.

However, being a vegan, I cannot count the number of times cross contamination with shellfish/fish has happened to me in restaurants in Coz, in the states and elsewhere!

If you were and your kids were deadly allergic to bee stings, would you think twice about taking their meds with you on a camping trip?

Take the pens!

Good luck!

6. Re: Restaurant cross contamination for non seafood eaters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:16