We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Cozumel

Portsmouth,Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Ferry to Cozumel

Man I can't seem to find a solid answer. I rented a van for my family from the Cancun airpor from Mexico Car rental / Zipp Car rental but we are staying in Cozumel for the 5 days we are there. We didn't plan on doing much driving but there are 6 of us and transport is expensive so I thought a van would be the way to go.

First question---can I take a van from Zipp on a ferry to Cozumel?

Second Question---What is the schedule, where is the Ferry and how much is it (ie per car or per person)?

Thanks for the help and looking forward to spending the family vacation in Cozumel!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

Forget the car ferry. Go to the island and rent a van....or hire a van taxi. The car ferry is more expensive and the schedule is prohibitive and besides that many rental companies don't allow you to take a rental to the island. You'll have to at least drive from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen and then get on a car ferry or a people ferry over to Cozumel. Use the search box above for more info.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

Concur. Use a private service like USA-transfers.com

Buy one way ferry tickets.

What time does your return flight depart Cancun?

If you insist on your plan (not recommended), see if this helps

http://www.transcaribe.net/

Edited: 22 June 2013, 03:11
phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

You'll have to email zipp car rental to find out if you can take the rented van on the car ferry. I'll bet no.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,846 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

quote: Man I can't seem to find a solid answer

Yet this is your 1st post on Trip Advisor

Cancel your ZIP rental and follow the advice above

Get a Canada or Best Buy transfer from the airport to the Ferry (and back) - very cheap

Edited: 22 June 2013, 06:41
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

I concur that it is best not to take the rental vehicle. However, I find that many now do take rental vehicles. But if you go through with the plan, do contact the agency.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

Read post 9 here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k21396…

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

If you are staying in Coz you should have flown there direct instead of Cancun. Next best is to take the bus to PDC for $10 each, then ferry over to Coz

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

I hope you will get some input here from those who have experienced it recently. The last time I did it with friends, we didn't have a long wait to board the car ferry but its always a possibility that you will. If cost is a factor, look at costs for all options. On the car ferry, you will pay only the cost for the vehicle plus for additional passengers. If you use the bus, passenger ferry option , you will pay 120 pesos each for the bus and 155 pesos each for the ferry. (assuming all passengers are adults) At todays exchange rates, that is about 126 dollars each way for bus and ferry.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

Relying upon "recent experience" can lead you down a path of bad outcome. Someone says they got on after arriving twenty minutes before the ferry left does you no good if your ferry departure required that you be there two hours or more early.

You have to plan for worst case, especially going home.

Your rental car cost may be much higher than planned if you have not included insurance costs.

The people ferry may charge less for kids. Only buy one way ferry tickets.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,697 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Cozumel

´The people ferry may charge less for kids.´

They do charge less for kids. That is why I said ¨assuming all passengers are adults¨.

And still believe its better to go with advice from those who have actually experienced the ferry recently. It may not be perfect advice but I always prefer it over 2008 advice, which may no longer apply.