We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the parking meters still there?

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
371 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Are the parking meters still there?

We are renting (again) from Margarita at Isis. There was some talk about removing the meters. I've done a TA search but the last time I saw this topic mentioned was in March.

(My bet is they are still there.)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

Margarita would know.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

Was there less than a month ago...they are still there. The price is a bargain but the empty spaces are hard to find. I still prefer NOT to park on Melgar.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

Yes they are still there and you don't have to pay after 8 PM.

(I think Sunday is free all day, but I am not 100% certain about that.)

I remember that same post. I rarely believe what I see quoted from the local papers. I prefer eye witness accounts when it comes to news on the island that addresses tourism.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

We did it...and the pushy-yet-nice store vendors reminded us to feed the meter and helped us do it...because we were stupid...and had never done it. We still prefer the parking lots.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,301 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

As said, Margarita at ISIS will explain it to you very well. I just listened to her brief a renter on Thursday and she tells you all you need to know about driving and parking on the island.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

Yes, there are still meters. Sunday is free all day. Not sure if they're still booting cars or not, as we saw actual parking tickets on windshields in May. This may have changed, naturally, as Cozumel is very whimsical in its changing of the rules.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

Saw boots on cars 3 weeks ago.

North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

I seem to recall reading something either late last year or early this year with regard to the meters. From what I can remember, the article stated the cost to install and administer the program was excessive and a lot of money was spent and the program was a "failure." As well, there had been numerous complaints and there were plans in place to remove the meters. A few of us held our collective breaths, and this did not happen. Not sure what changed or what type of contract was in place. To be safe, I have just parked on side streets or paid my 8 pesos an hour to have some peace of mind. A couple of restaurants such as Kinta and La Choza have lots where you can park and are free of charge for customers.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

...and there you have it.

We only park on Melgar AFTER hours, otherwise the lot at 6 and 5 (I think) is really handy. Closed Sundays, though.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the parking meters still there?

We have been reading for months that the Parking Meters on Melgar were soon to be a thing of the past. Now the press is reporting that news was all a lie put forth by City Hall to appease the masses. The company who owns the Parking Meters has no intention of leaving and the only way they would pull up meters and split is if the City gave them about 60 million pesos. So the meters will remain for at least 15 years and Cozumeleños and tourists will continue being confused by them, paying fines and having their cars booted for parking a minute of two past the allowed time.