We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI-Mayair.....

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
FYI-Mayair.....

I just found out... when we sent one of our little darlin's from Cozumel to Cancun on Mayair on June 20th....it must've been a slow day for Mayair. She flew on a 6 seater one prop plane and landed not even at the Cancun airport. It was an airstrip nowhere near the Cancun airport. An adventure for sure but in her opinion much better than the bag drag. Just thought I'd let you know.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

Interesting. Would be interesting to know more about the airstrip. As a private pilot, I have the charts and took a look and see no other airport in the area---other than Playa del Carmen. I could be missing it. And how did she get to Cancun?

Not sure what is happening at Mayair. Not long ago, they had an accident with a single engine plane they had rented to take passengers to and from Cancun. They were fined because they had no permits to operate the aircraft in passenger service.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

She said it was a pretty long way from the Cancun airport. But hearing about it 2nd hand from our other little darlin'...she didn't say how many minutes drive it was from the airstrip to the actual Cancun airport. Somebody finally asked her where she needed to go after she wandered around and looked lost for a short amount of time. They called her a guy w/ a van. It wasn't a regular type shuttle...just a dude w/ a van. The 5 other men on the flight were business types and took off immediately upon arrival...leavin' little darlin' to wonder if she was in the right place. She didn't mind.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

That doesn't sound good... You buy a ticket to CUN and end up WHERE. How old is little darlin?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

She's in her late 30's and well traveled...so she wasn't scared...maybe a bit confused and nervous.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

Hmm that is strange. When we have taken Mayair we did have to get in the van to be transported to the other terminal. Mayair isn't in the large terminal for the larger planes, but it was only about a 10 minute drive.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

Oh and the plane held maybe 10 people that we were on too. They are small planes and that is why it is recommended to make reservations in advance.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

All of Mayair's aircraft are small but, as far as I know, they don't have any 6 passenger , or smaller , aircraft in their fleet. As I mentioned, they recently had a problems after they had an accident in an aircraft at the Cancun airport which didn't have proper approvals to be operated in passenger service.

I sent them an email asking them to respond as to what happened in this instance but so far, no response.

Denver
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

I find the "just a dude with a van" disturbing.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

I have been in a six-seater on a Mayair flight. I don't remember if it had their colours on it, but it was most definitely operated by them. They may have a relationship with another fleet for when there are just a couple of passengers.

We flew into the regular Mayair spot at Cancun airport.

We have bee using them for a few years now and have had nothing but great experiences.

I hope this is not going to change as I am not a fan of the bag drag option.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FYI-Mayair.....

Flight ops for Mayair are a separate terminal, but to get to the main terminal, you have to circumnavigate to the main street and loop around. (Just like it seems every airport in the US does these days) It might be a 5-10 minute ride. You can cut through the parking lot and walk it as well, but it also takes 5-10 minutes.

There is a smaller, but not much smaller, airstrip on the other side of the airport. It is maybe 400 yards away. This is probably used for general aviation and private planes when the other runway is tied up.

http://binged.it/18NAF2F