We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet Access Companies in CZM??

Keller Tx.
Level Contributor
224 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Internet Access Companies in CZM??

I see that internet at Iberostar is either not available, reception not good or very expensive.

Are there any companies in CZM that offer a device that connects remotely to the internet?

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet Access Companies in CZM??

It might depend on what you mean by "remotely". The entire internet is "remote", so I suspect you might be referring to some sort of wireless connectivity. In that case, sure. The issue for some of them is whether it would make sense to buy for a typical vacation.

What I would do is take an unlocked mobile phone with a SIM slot and Wifi hotspot or Bluetooth tethering capability and get a TelCel Amigo SIM and use that to provide connectivity to my laptop (which you didn't say but I'll assume is what you're trying to connect to the internet), Xbox 360, Roku, or whatever. Lots of inexpensive Android phones will work for this, as will all iPhones as long as the SIM slot isn't locked. A TelCel Amigo SIM will set you back 150 pesos and comes with 50 pesos of credit. A 7-day 1 GB data plan is 162 pesos, so for less than 25 bucks US you can get a week of internet service.

There are also cellular data cards that may work a bit faster. If you already have one and it's got an unlocked SIM slot, you're in luck. If not, they're not cheap and only do one thing, while on a mobile phone you can make calls and do other useful stuff even without a computer.

Edited: 20 July 2013, 03:45
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet Access Companies in CZM??

You might call Iberostar coz direct and ask. The Iberostar chain was going to revamp wifi at all their hotels. I don't know if that has happened. In June there were lots of people accessing it in reception. Not sure what the cost is. And also talked to the guys at the dive shop (opposite end of the resort) and they picked it up fine. And an IT guy we met , got good reception in the restaurant next to the pool.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet Access Companies in CZM??

I'm in Playa del Carmen right now at Occidental Grand Xcaret. We rented a Mexico mobile hotspot from Telecom Square USA. It was delivered to our home before we left and three of us in two adjoining rooms are using it with no problems.

4. Re: Internet Access Companies in CZM??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:17