We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Article

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Good Article

mexicotoday.org/article/culture-and-courtesy…

Found this link on FB.Especially liked the statement below.

If you can't speak Spanish, don't insult the local people by shouting louder and slower in English. It's rude and it doesn't change the fact that they don't understand. They will appreciate any effort you make, regardless of your skill level.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Article

Are you a traveller or a tourist?

I like to consider myself a traveller

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Article

Okdiver - I disagree some with your statement. I do speak Spanish so I know that in order to understand it, I do need it louder & slower. I always have to turn up the sound on Spanish radio & TV.

I am not suggesting to be rude but it will be easier for them to understand our English if we remember simple sentences, good enunciation, minimal slang, and no mumbling ( which of course I never do in spite of what my husband says!)

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Article

I just found it funny that if someone speaks no english some think saying it slower or louder will make them all of a sudden understand. Kinda like the people who add O to everything and think they are speaking spanish.lol.I do agree if they understand a little english saying it clearly and slowly may help them understand .

Edited: 24 July 2013, 19:23
Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Article

I like the ones who are still speaking English, but try to use a Spanish accent. Yep. That'll work!!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Article

People speak more slowly and louder to anyone they think doesn't understand them, even if they're both native speakers of the same language. Watch anyone interacting with someone 40 years older, even if the older person is sharper and has better hearing.

It makes no rational sense, but rational sense has never driven most of human behavior.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Article

No problemo?? Funny how 8 years of Spanish in school and all I can really remember from that is "Hola Paco" however I pick up more and more just interacting with the local folks and reading the signs, menus, etc. I always appreciate their command of the English language!

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Article

Really, what else do you need other than "cerveza mas fria, por favor", "otro tequila, por favor", and "donde esta el bano"?

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Article

"Como estan tus conejos?" is also another very useful phrase to learn.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Article

Bad dog- Do you eat rabbit in Mexico? Maybe you could help us out with your useful phrase?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Article

i'm a graduate of the uncleD school of espanol