We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
adriancoz
Level Contributor
306 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

As time has gone through Cozumel history we have seen business and people come and go and the sad part is that we have also seen a lot of outside commercial people bringing items to sell to the tourist as souvenirs but most of them are even made in china. We should support our local artisans if we really want to keep alive the spirits of Cozumel.

Here is one that its worth visiting:

"Luis Calaca", from one of the oldest families of BLACK CORAL harvesting in the island he still has his workshop running and makes precious iconic pieces. Prices will vary from 5us to a couple thousands dollars depending on the size and work. He has legal permit to harvest and sell and will give you a hologram with each piece you buy. Located in two points, Home address workshop in town 20th ave between Juarez and 2nd street on the left hand side, you can find it open later in the afternoon as most morning days he is at El Cedral right next to the little Catholic church in town.

If any of you travelers know of any local Artisan worth spreading the word, please add on!!!

Adrian

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,648 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

I have been buying from Luis Calaca for years. My best friend, an island tour guide , introduced me to the place. He always takes guests on his tours there.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

How about the feather painiting at Balam store.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Always grab a few things at the little store just beside La Mission restaurant. Very nice hand painted t shirts and fabrics most with day of the dead motifs

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

I want to second the feather paintings at balam store !!!!! Every trip I bring them back for friends and me too !

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

We have a feather painting that we have had for years. Love it.

We also recommend Luis. We have been there numerous times. I wear my jewelry all the time. i also have a black coral dolphin. Great Christmas gifts too!

Montrose Colorado
Level Contributor
300 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Omg-Adrian, we loved him! We always visit El Cedral & my family was very impressed with him & his honesty when we took them there this past June! I would highly recommend Luis

adriancoz
Level Contributor
306 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Another Worth Visit place in the island off the crowded side its a local Handcrafter that I have seen for years on Transversal road heading to the East side of the island on the right hand side. His Mayan large Stellas (columns) and giant squared Maya representations have always called my eye. So I stopped a few days ago and meet Felipe, he is building a theme park about the Mayan!!!! its yet not developed and he is doing it him self. He is the creator of the El Cedral statues and the Xchel Goddess by the militare fountain in the north side of the island.

Check his FB as: Felipe Nery Solis

Cheers

Adrian

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

i forgot to mention him he has a lot of reasonably priced stuff and wish I could bring the larger items home I have many of his pieces in my kitchen

adriancoz
Level Contributor
306 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Its worth mention, when in Mexico, our silver its a great souvenir to take home and a silver worth visit shop where you will find Legit jewelry is Sergio's Silver from Taxco, located on Juarez Ave between 5th and 10th #117 right next to Woodys bar. you can also check out his tripadvisor reviews at: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d4…

Canal Winchester...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

We love Sergio, totally worth a stop!!!