We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

adriancoz
Level Contributor
306 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

As time has gone through Cozumel history we have seen business and people come and go and the sad part is that we have also seen a lot of outside commercial people bringing items to sell to the tourist as souvenirs but most of them are even made in china. We should support our local artisans if we really want to keep alive the spirits of Cozumel.

Here is one that its worth visiting:

"Luis Calaca", from one of the oldest families of BLACK CORAL harvesting in the island he still has his workshop running and makes precious iconic pieces. Prices will vary from 5us to a couple thousands dollars depending on the size and work. He has legal permit to harvest and sell and will give you a hologram with each piece you buy. Located in two points, Home address workshop in town 20th ave between Juarez and 2nd street on the left hand side, you can find it open later in the afternoon as most morning days he is at El Cedral right next to the little Catholic church in town.

If any of you travelers know of any local Artisan worth spreading the word, please add on!!!

Adrian

lake erie ohio
Level Contributor
821 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

I, too, purchased a one of a kind silver and amber bracelet from Jorge this year. He and his wife were most gracious and welcomed us into their home. We also talked about the Mata Ortez pottery he displays as I have a signed piece of Rito Talavera. Will be back in February!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Sherri...just curious..how much were your rings? And is he in san miguel?

lake erie ohio
Level Contributor
821 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Jorge and his family are located one block north of Isis Rentadora (Margarita) on 5th st close to town center. Prices are very reasonable ; my friend and I each purchased heavy silver with large amber stones in bracelet and necklace for around $100 each.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Springx23...my rings were around 100.00 each. And I am not just saying this, I get so many compliments on my rings. I love my Swallows ring...he made me the perfect Cozumel ring.

Easiest way to find him...he is a block behind Los Cinco Soles and Pancho's Back Yard in San Miguel...directly behind

Edited: 18 June 2014, 18:54
North Carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Awesome, thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Jklau Jewelry Cozumel is one of his FB pages..

adriancoz
Level Contributor
306 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

Another addition to this thread would be Donna Duncan, although she is an American, she has become part of our Cozumel culture by her parents coming for many many years. She married a local guy and has created a beautiful Cozumel family. She started designing jewelry many years ago and used to make shows on the Hotels pools every evening, here and in the mainland.

You can find her art on: https:/…215466688477152

Make sure you say Hi!!

Adrian

38. Re: Locally made Handcrafts and the stories behind...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:15