We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sickness @ Resort

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
365 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sickness @ Resort

Please no El Coz bashers. This post refers to NOW @ the resort & not five years ago!! We've been following the reviews of El Coz pretty closely & lately there are a lot of reports of stomach illnesses. Does anyone know if this is food or virus related? Are other resorts having problems with illness?? Some in our party of 8 are getting pretty worried about this. We stayed @ Fiesta for the past two years & loved the food & had zero problems. Thanx to all of your help.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sickness @ Resort

Can't stay at Fiesta this year, can you? Seriously, we have stayed @ El Coz at least once a year (usually twice) for the past 11 or 12 years. We have never been even close to getting sick there. If you look deeper into supposed resort illnesses, you will find that most (IMO) are caused way before you get to the resort. Like catching something on the plane. Even if it is something at the resort, it has probably run it's course by the time anyone starts to post about it. I would have NO PROBLEM going to El Coz at ANY TIME!

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sickness @ Resort

I have been speaking with the resort because I will be there on sat 24th and they have been testing food and had the kitchen inspected and passed. I will use common sense when selecting items to eat and wash my hands before eating. I notice that some of the reviewers mention that the booze is watered down and that they needed to order triple shots for their drinks, maybe that can lead to illness ? I'm going and I will report when I return, when are you going Uncledaryl ?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sickness @ Resort

^^^The reports are of illnesses far more violent than overindulgence. It's probably just a virus, like norwalk. If you dig through Allegro reviews from last year, it made the rounds there too.

Wash your hands. Lather, rinse, and repeat!

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sickness @ Resort

ww - Not sure when we're going again. Vacation time in September, but bride wants to stay in the states this time. Trying to talk her out of that lame idea.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sickness @ Resort

tell her that there is a ugly sickness working it's way thru the states and you want to take her out of the country for her safety ...wink wink

Mn.
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sickness @ Resort

UncleDaryl Vacation in the states with your bride or go to coz.The question you should asked is love thicker then Coz? Back to the post I would not think twice about returning to Elcoz.We have been there many times with no problems.Go enjoy.

Deville, LA
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sickness @ Resort

My husband and I leave for El Coz on September 7. We have also been reading the reviews and have become a little concerned over reports of illness. I would love to hear from anyone who has been recently.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sickness @ Resort

I was at El Coz late April and first of May. Not sick at all. I'm booked to go back in 3 weeks and have no concerns whatsoever.

For that matter I've never been sick on their food in all the years I've been there.

Like someone else said, there's reviews for other resorts with reports of sickness.

I can't wait to return and see everyone! It's a shorter trip, Sept 14-19th...kind of a bummer, but it's way better than nothing!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sickness @ Resort

Sara P, my recent trip this year was June. No issues at all. Previous trip this year was Feb no issues then either. Will be there this weekend, can't wait. Just as Oceanfreak stated, I have been going for years and never got sick on the food.

Deville, LA
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sickness @ Resort

Thanks for the input. We have been to Mexico before (Akumal) and had no issues. This will be our first time in Cozumel and we cannot wait!