We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, California
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

I am going to Cozumel for the last week of October and need help deciding where to stay. I intend on renting a car because I don't want to be in town, just relatively close. I'm coming to dive, not shop. :-) However if there are areas on the fringes of town that fit what I'm looking for, I'm open. Never been there, so I don't know what to expect. I REALLY don't want to see a Walmart because I think my eyes will melt out of their sockets. I know its there, I just don't want to see it so I can remain blissfully in denial.

My preferences:

-Not a template, sterile resort. Don't need a swim-up bar, no all-inclusive (isn't part of the adventure trying new restaurants?)

-On a sandy beach that had shade, and is a peaceful place to read. Doesn't necessarily need to be swim-in... I'll be spending my water time below the surface. If it exists, a beach where I will not constantly be hassled by vendors.

-I do appreciate luxury/comfort and am very aesthetically oriented, but don't need a 5-star. For a place that is really cool, HAS CHARACTER and a friendly vibe, I do not mind sacrificing luxury... I just want a clean, tastefully decorated, ocean view room, preferably with a private balcony, hot water with good pressure, a/c and a mini-fridge. Can't stand tacky decor. And I would like to pay no more than $130, preferably a good deal less.

-A dive shop that doesn't crowd their dives in close walking distance would be AWESOME, but again, I will have a car, so can be flexible there.

I'm a somewhat mischievous 36-year-old woman traveling solo, and would like to be in a place where I can meet others to play with. :-)

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

Andrea

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

Blue Angel is my vote 100%!...........(and you wouldn't even need a car, at least not the whole time)

Edited: 25 August 2013, 00:48
connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

ditto on blue angel

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

My initial thought is that you can't have everything you want. That is not unusual.

I have not been to the Blue Angel area in a while but I suspect that they are not on what you would consider a sandy beach like the resorts well south of town.

If no sandy beach is ok, then that may be a suitable choice.

Make the sandy beach mandatory and you are probably talking all-inclusive.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

Andrea,

I'm not a diver but I love Cass Mexicana. It's 5 minutes from the ferry, 5 minutes to the square & close in to everything'. The hotel is very clean & the beds are so comfortable. Rooms come with a mini fridge & Mega & Chedraui for shopping are no more than 5-10 minutes away. I've done the all inclusive routine but am getting ready for my 4th stay at CM. The overall savings allows me to go on excursions & try outstanding restaurants on the island. Have fun!! Oh & the buffet breakfast presented by Jaime & his staff is awesome!! Check it out !!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

Yup. Blue Angel. You just won't have the sandy beach. My best friend loved the dive op there. We've stayed twice and like it alot...it has character. Good restaurant, not far from town, small, all rooms have a little balcony w/ ocean views. Check out their website. I've never seen vendors on any beach on Cozumel.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

For a tranquil North end choice (no retail for miles) we stay at Coral Princess every year and love it. The on site dive shop at Coral Princess (Pepe SCUBA) gets very high marks. The staff at both CP and Pepe's are excellent. You will have the same dive master each day. They really take the time to know you and your preferences. Safety is high priority. Boats are fast and uncrowded. Fun dive crowd at resort.

TA reviews of Pepe:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d1…

Photos:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k58692…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,149 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

I agree with the choice of many here, the Blue Angel. I think it fits best for you.

Mays Landing, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

We have been to Coz 9 or 10 times. Not divers so cannot offer any info in that regard. We stayed at Blue Angel once and would offer this in terms of what you indicate you prefer: beach is def not sandy and while they have some chairs and umbrellas not a relaxing reading spot , the hotel furnishings are minimal and rustic and very old. If you don't like tacky, you won't like this. The restaurant is decent for breakfast and a nice spot for watching the sunsets, hotel is right on The Main Street and traffic goes on well into the wee hours so if you are a light sleeper getting up for early dive times rule this place out, not great ocean views from most rooms and balconies small with plastic chairs and table . Nice hotel staff and we found the guests to be friendly on our visit to BA. Our suggestion for you based on your preferences is to check out a place south where the beaches are nicer and use a dive shop in town since you plan on renting a car. Choose a hotel reasonably priced and have breakfast there. Spend your dollars in town at the many great restaurants and bars!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

To the North end that fit your bill and in distance from town are Coral Princess, The B Hotel and Playa Azul.

CP and the B have an ironshore beach but are nice environs for sitting off to the side and reading a book in shade. Both have great reef wall snorkeling. Azul has a decent sand beach and is quiet. It is AI, but if you can get a deal, going into town for dinner makes up for it.

As an alternative, you might be able to find a small condo unit for the same price as a hotel room. Then you'd have the ultimate in privacy and maybe 5 times more space than your hotel room. TA has a link for condos on this page.

I like Blue Angel's restaurant, but I agree with the poster above, the accommodations at the hotel are basic accomodations and not luxury.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 13:44
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel Folks... Please Help!

Thanks blockhead. I visited what is now Blue Angel when it was the Lorena or similar. The road noise was unacceptable to me. Caveats: That may have been before Wilma and I may have been on the floor just a few feet above street level so things could have changed.

I am not used to road noise so I am sensitive to that element of a hotel. Someone who lives by a major street/highway may say it is not an issue.

If I were a travel agent I am perplexed where I would suggest that you go. I do not have recent viewings of all hotel room interiors and even if I did, I may not know what your definition of tacky is.

Given that, I would offer up two other options. El Cozumeleno and Melia. Both are north of the hotels that Mark (mslf) suggested. I know that El Coz has many ocean front rooms and a smallish sandy beach with some shaded chairs.

Melia is almost next door and has LOTS of shaded chairs plus about the best sandy beach on the island. The one negative about Melia is occasional yucky colored water.

I did not check pricing on these two but I did get El Coz not many years ago for about $90 a night (per room) all-inclusive. At that price, going out to dinner at night is not a problem.

Also note that a few dive shops stop at a beach club between dives and often people have a meal then.

Choosing a hotel can be problematic. My preferences vary in importance for each trip. Interior decor is seldom a concern. While I did stay at Hotel B when it was the Fontan (wonderful stay and loved listening to the waves at night), when they remodeled, the decor was something that I probably would avoid although I suspect that far more people would love it.