We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
642 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

Does anyone know the price of snorkel gear rental at Chankanaab Park? Does it include a float vest or is that extra?

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

Yes, the vest is included and from what I recall you MUST wear it when snorkeling in the park. There was a huge discussion about the vest issue a while back.

Check out this site it will provide most of the answers you may need plus some great photos.

www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

SD that's how it was when we were there 2 years ago. Vest REQUIRED. Dont have to inflate it, but we had to wear it....bright yellow so there was no "sneaking" lol

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

I don't recall wearing the vest, but it's been a while. Do they only make renters wear them, or also those with their own equipment?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

I thought that everybody is required to wear a vest within the marine park? We had to wear them on the boat at Playa Palancar but were only offered them on Tiger's boat.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

Desmei we had our own gear, but we had to wear a vest. Im not sure if they gave it to us or we had to rent it, cant recall, but Im thinking they gave it to us.

Froglegs Im not sure about that one. Any snorkeling we've done has been at the resorts, never on an excursion, aside from Chankanaab. Id be interested to know the answer, good question!

Edited: 04 September 2013, 23:27
North Carolina
Level Contributor
554 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

The last time we snorkeled in the marine park (not at Chankanaab) the vest wasn't required, that was 2010. There was confusion between the "snorkel master" and captain and they finally determine the vest was optional.

Cheers.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

Hmm...maybe we did wear vests. I don't remember yesterday, so it's entirely possible.

I've never worn a vest on a snorkel trip with either Tiger or Dive Palancar. I can't remember if Pro Dive made us wear one or not.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

In June we HAD to wear them at Palancar but weren't required to inflate them. Tiger just asked each person if they wanted one. Seems like I remember reading months ago that they were now required in the park but maybe I just read they were required at Chankanaab. We hate them.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

I hate them too.

I just accessed my external memory (aka Mr. Des) and he says we didn't have to wear the vests at Chankanaab (2009. I knew it was a lifetime ago...) but we did have to with Pro Dive.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chankanaab Park snorkel gear rental

When we snorkeled at Chankannab we didn't have to either.. nor on Tiger's boat when we went out on that both times .. but when we took the snorkel boat from Playa Palancar the captain made us wear them but (as someone else posted) we did not have to inflate them. Guess it's up to the dive / snorkel operator and not a marine park requirement..