We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Hi

I can't find a recent answer to this question , but apologise if there is. Cruise ship will be in Cozumel in October 2013. It's offering a full day trip to Chichen Itza at $110. I know it's a really long day trip, but leaving that aside, is it worth seeing this World Heritage site. I have plenty of beach & snorkelling etc. opportunities available elsewhere during the 2 weeks.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Yes. You must have a long time in port to make that trip an option.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 15:04
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

I don't think anyone can really answer that question but you. Do you love ruins and architecture? Is history or social culture your thing? Have you seen other sights similar to CI? I've been, once. I've been to Tulum. We thought it was extremely interesting. Having said that, I wouldn't go again and I have no desire to see Coba or other Mayan ruins. That's just me. It's not my thing. Is it yours?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Just my opinion, but not worth making a rushed day trip. If you really want to see ruins, see the ones a bit closer. I prefer Coba, which is one of the few in the area where you can still climb the ruins.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Thanks. You are literally off the ship first thing and the ship waits for you to return; hopefully!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Thanks. I do have an interest in historical sites and have seen a Mayan one. I think it unlikely that I would be able to undertake this journey in the future. As you say it comes down to personal choice, but the views of others is always helpful in arriving at a decision.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Oops. That should read ...have not seen. Old age strikes again :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Thanks. I'll have a look at Coba trips as well.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Absolutely Chichen Itza is worth seeing but I wouldn't venture going unless it is an excursion offered by your cruise ship. It would be a huge risk of missing the ship.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
260 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

Cozumel is world class for reefs & sea life.....but if that is not your interest chichen itza is a very worthwhile (but exhausting) way to spend a day. Robert is correct it will be a long & rushed day & there are closer ruins

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel to Chichen Itza 2013

This is from the frequently asked questions section of Johann and Sandra's tour company. They run tours to Chichen Itza from Cozumel. The private tour they mention is about $400 pp.

Q: I'M ON A CRUISE SHIP - CAN I DO THESE TOURS?

A: We do not recommend Chichen Itza for Cozumel cruise ship passengers. If you're stopping in Progreso, you can do the ruins from there. Otherwise, we recommend visiting either Tulum or Coba instead. A very few cruise ships stay in port for as much as 12-14 hours. If this is you, then the private Chichen Itza may work for you.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 22:31