We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South side hotels....Allegro or other?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
South side hotels....Allegro or other?

We are planning our annual trip to Cozumel for February 2014 (traveling with our 2 children ages 10 & 12). We had stayed at the Fiestamericana for 3 years and then tried Cozumel Palace last year. As wonderful as Cozumel Palace was, we missed being on the south end of the Island and longed to go back to Fiestamericana. However it is closed for renovations until the end of March 2014.

We are checking out the rest of the resorts on the south end. Allegro seems to be the winner so far. Can anyone who has stayed there or the other resorts Sabor? Occidential Grand? let me know what they thought? I have also read in a few reviews that Allegro might be closing for September/October for renovations and that it was possibly sold?

Thanks!!

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

We were at the Allegro in July for 9 nights and had a really nice time. I have been to the Allegro about 5-6 times and have always had a good time. The Allegro is an older resort and is generally considered to be rated at about 3 Stars. The Allegro Beach is the best resort beach on the island.

I have heard that the Allegro was being closed for Sept - Oct for updates, repairs and renovations. By February the Allegro should be running normally.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

That "It's been sold" rumour has been going around for a while now.

It's a good resort. I'd even say it was great, in the past. There is a new manager there now and much of the staff is unhappy, and the front desk staff is hit and miss. You'll note some people mentioning one woman in particular who doesn't seem to like her job? Yeah. She's miserable. Should NOT be in front-line customer service. I have 3 or 4 reviews of the place, if you click on my name. The first few visits were GREAT, the last one...not so much.

Pros:

Great beach

Most of the staff is lovely

Food is good

Rooms are comfortable..for two (get a lower room though)

Very pretty grounds

The beach!

The waterslides are fun :o)

Staff is good with kids

Cons:

Management not as willing to be sure guests are happy

Snarly front desk girl (Carolina)

Rooms are small if you are hoping to house more than 2 people. Try to get a family room, if you can get a good price, otherwise your 10 and 12 year olds will be cozy in a double bed mere inches from mom and dad.

Meal times are a bit limited, with supper ending far too early for some (me)

No beach service (may or may not be an issue. It doesn't bother me)

Wifi very expensive and spotty

Unless they change things, expect some good lineups at the bars in high season--they are understaffed

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

We've been to the Allegro and the Grand. We prefer the laid back atmosphere of the Allegro. We love the rooms close to the beach. We love that every room has a porch and a hammock. We love that it is a smaller resort. The food is good. The beach is beautiful. The staff is awesome. The staff we have talked to since the new manager is very happy and that includes a personal friend of ours. The new manager is a rule follower and I think that is what a lot of the repeat customers don't like. They use to be able to get something for nothing and he doesn't really do that like the last manager. I've been reading the reviews over this last year and that seems to be the complaint....the old manager would do this or that for us and this guy won't. I personally don't have a problem with him holding his ground. The rooms are small so that is something to take into consideration if you spend a lot of time in your room. We don't so it isn't an issue. The Allegro HAS NOT BEEN SOLD. It is still an Occidental resort. and will remain so after the renovations. They are definitely scheduled to open back up in November.

The Grand is nice. Bigger rooms. Food good. Beach is beautiful. It's a bit more upscale. With that being said, we still prefer the Allegro plus it's cheaper, LOL.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

No, the old manager used to treat repeat customers l (non-timeshare clients) like repeat customers. The new style of management is "treat customers like 1 night Motel 6 customers", whether it's their 1s visit or their 7th.

Just wait and see how many familiar faces you see the next time you're there. I already know of at least one LONG time member of staff that has left this month.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

if youstayed at the FA you love not crossing the road to beach and the abundance of trees and palapas right in front of beach, 2 story bungalos get you away from that hotel high rise feeling, we have stayed at iberostar and sabor and allegro with the allegro getting a 2nd visit in jan. rooms are moderate but clean cant wait to see new renovations, you never have a problem finding a lounger at beach or pool plus they have a nice little parking lot by security gate if you rent a car

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

We are considering the Allegro too! I just hope the renos don't take away the charming thatched roofs & the Mexican flair...does anyone know what the upgrades are? I love the desert island hut look. I also am considering it because of the kids pool. I hope this won't be removed or changed?

i saw a great deal to Allegro on Expedia, much cheaper than any other sites and seems almost too good to be true. Anyone have experience booking w/ Expedia to Cozumel? I guess i should start a new thread for this question!

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

have mostly used bookit know an agent, but last year expedia was 350. cheaper per person for ten days 1040.00 each and he told me to grab that price but we booked online and they immediately misspelled my wifes middle name , and kept changing our seats on the plane had a hard time understanding the rep but finally asked for a better English speaking agent that night , tried two more times that week and both times they said it was corrected, never was corrected and American said it could be a problem but not likely but for 200. dollars they would make the correction. we took the chance ,. one letter added and was not detected but we still were worried the night before, used bookit this year 10 nights 1100.00 and have been contacted twice about flight changes allready

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

Poor , ruge mgmt and front desk people and you hope it hasnt been sold. If I had heard it was sold I woukd have booked there for our march trip. I am the one doing the hotel recommendation for 11 people in a group and would NOT want any of those problems. I so badly wanted to try the Allegro this time but all the food and room problems, lines for drinks and rude management shouldnt be tolerated.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

As I said, I stayed at the Allegro 7 times between 2009 and 2013. If you asked me after the first 6 times if I'd recommend, I would have in a heartbeat. After the 7th though...nope.

TOMomtotwo, I doubt they're getting rid of the thatched roofs, just because of the design of the buildings. If it's a cheap enough price that it's totally worth your while, go for it. Just don't expect any frills or outstanding customer service (they'd booked three adults in a 1 bed bedroom on my last visit, for example). I'd suggest you keep an eye on them on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/AllegroCozumel?fref=ts They are not answering any questions regarding the construction, but then it's possible there's no staff there at all right now.

I personally hope they tear down the ropes course, which hasn't been used since First Choice got out of there in 2009.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South side hotels....Allegro or other?

i have emailed Allegro to ask when they will be re-open for sure but getting no response. I also emailed asking about booking a Family Room and again no response. Even if they are closed surely they should be on top of bookings and enquiries?? Very odd!