We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
436 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

Hello. I will be travelling with family on a cruise (RCI Oasis) in mid-October that will be calling on Cozumel. We had originally wanted to see any of the ruins on the the mainland but given that the ship will only be docked for around 11-hours, we're thinking of just staying on the island. We're looking at visiting San Gervasio as a viable alternative.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a suitable itinerary that would include San Gervasio, a walk around town for some sightseeing/shopping and/or possibly even a quick dip in the ocean. Any reliable tour operator that you can recommend or is it possible to take our chances with any of the cab drivers that offer tours by the port? What would be the estimated cost for these options?

I'm likewise a fan of Mexican food as well but I've only tried the ones in the Philippines and the US. I'd like to try authentic Mexican in Mexico i.e. Burritos, Enchiladas, etc. Any suggestions on where I can grab a quick bite? Thanks in advance.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,550 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

You can hire a taxi driver at the pier. My recommendation is to hire one of the vans operated by Island Tours. They are a branch of the local taxi union but each independently owned van is operated by a licensed guide who speaks very good English. They will have a man on the pier who you can talk to for details.With a random taxi driver, you take your chances with the level of English and knowledge of the island. They have no set tour but will make one to suit what you want to see.

For a quick bite with the family, you might like Casa Denis in the center near the main square or Abuelo Gerardo on 10, also in the center. Both have a good variety of local food and are, old , well established restaurants.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions. Would you, more or less, have a ball park figure on how much they would charge if we hire one for the day? Communicating shouldn't be much of a problem as we speak and understand a bit of Spanish, just enough to get by at least. What do you think is a fair amount of time to travel to/from and soak up the sights at San Gervasio? Do establishments i.e. cafes, restaurants also offer free wifi if we patronize them?

3. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2013, 12:39
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,550 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

Bryant, really I don't know the cost but they will tailor it to the size of your group. They use all late model vans, and in my opinion, much more comfortable and better sightseeing than a taxi. I know one Island Tour driver well but all are well qualified and I would just go with whomever is available at the pier. Several will be there.You might only want 4 hours and go to see the ruins and a few other sites and then be dropped in the center for lunch. Most all restaurants and cafes do have free wifi available to customers.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

@Claude and Robert. Many thanks again for your help. Though I'm still considering RCI's cruise excursions, I just want to include all viable options available.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,550 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

Good idea to consider all. But likey you will pay much more using an RCI option. And the local operator gets paid little by RCI.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

Cozumel is a place you really don't have to rely on the cruise excursions... its a small place and you would really have to get crazy to actually not get back to the boat on time. I'd consider going to the other side of the island.

When you are grabbing some food, don't assume what you think of as authentic Mexican is really authentic Mexican.. be ready to expand your horizons.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

It might be helpful to read under the Top Questions on the right side of this page: One Day on Cozumel. You can use the search box above and enter taxi prices to see past discussions. I also think you don't need to use the cruise excursion option- you'll pay double for the same thing. The store vendors on the plaza in town (and the waterfront) can be a bit aggressive so you might want to shop the side and back streets for better prices and a better general shopping experience. Don't worry...despite what the cruise lines tell you all of the island is safe. They just want you to shop their stores and use their excursions. Definitely have your taxi take you all the way around the island. It's a small place and you should have plenty of time stopping wherever you see an interesting & pretty spot. Don't take a dip on the east side as the undertow can be dangerous there.

9. Re: First time in Cozumel (on a cruise)...need help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:18