We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

From what I have found on the internet, El Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead takes place Nov 1st and Nov 2nd. I remembered attending these parades while a college student in the southwest. I have not come across much information on celebrations in Cozumel. Thanks in advance for any information:)

1. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2013, 14:45
Edited: 03 November 2013, 14:45
Cozumel
Level Contributor
113 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

You will see very little celebration here, and many of the kids are now doing the halloween thing...sad! A friend and I are headed to Morelia and Patzcuaro where they still do it up big the old fashioned way. In past years I have also gone to Oaxaca, another place famous for these celebrations.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

Agree. The only thing I have ever done in Cozumel is in private celebrations with Mexican family friends. It is also sad to me that now the kids are going more to the Halloween celebration rather than the old traditional way of doing things.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

Speaking of celebrations and holidays. MEGA got a jump on Christmas and had decorations for sale 2 weeks ago,

Cozumel
Level Contributor
113 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

All the stores have Christmas stuff, that is just crazy. We can not even get thru other holidays before they start shoving the commercial xmas crap down our throats.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

There will be private and public altars to the departed around town. The Museo usually hosts a special exhibit, cemeteries are spruced up, special items placed by the families and some families still feast with their ancestors.

Halloween celebration is growing more common and the Cozumel Humane Society usually hosts a large public party/fundraiser.

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

Thanks everybody for the helpful information. I always thought this celebration was so imaginative and captivating. I agree with you about the retailers exploiting Christmas so early. Thank goodness for internet shopping;)

8. Re: Day of the Dead celebrations in 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:18