We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

We'll be visiting Chankanaab as part of a shore excursion on a cruise. Through the cruise line, we booked the dolphin/manatee encounter there, and we'll still have about four hours before we have to return to the ship.

We are really hoping to snorkel, and this will be our only opportunity.

So my questions are:

1) Is there snorkeling there?

2) Do they rent equipment?

3) Is the snorkeling good? I don't need world-class, but I'd avoid plain sand and rocks.

4) Are there changing areas available for after snorkeling?

THANKS!

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

Yes to all your questions.

Down the beach are palapa buildings with dive shops that rent the equipment. They have lockers. Very nice rest rooms.

There are also little palapas with chairs providing shade. The restaurants provide drink & food service to the chairs.

We have always seen a lot of fish. There is some coral. Plus they have a couple of underwater statues. There is also a swim platform out in the water.

Very easy entry into the water via steps.

Chankanaab is a favorite of ours. Have fun!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

Google Cozumel Parks to see pictures and info about Chankanaab. You will save money if you don't book thru your cruise lines....it's easy to do on your own...just take a taxi from the pier to the park and have a great time. Places on the island are not far from each other and taxis are plentiful everywhere on the west side. Read alot of reviews and you should definitely research the dolphin swim..I'm against that. Snorkeling is very good at Chankanaab. IMO it is an expensive park. You can find the same thing minus the dolphins/manatees at other places.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

I appreciate both of your informative responses.

When looking at all of the shore excursions available in our three ports of call, we actually based everything around the dolphin and manatee encounter here; my kids are incredibly excited about it. We had a similar shore excursion booked elsewhere last year but didn't get to do it (more on that later). I have my moral qualms about it, too, but I've made my peace with it. Last year we enjoyed Stingray Beach in Cozumel.

So the bottom line is not that we're going to Chankanaab and oh by the way the mammals will be cool to see; we're going there FOR the interaction with the mammals and oh by the way it happens to be at Chankanaab. The bonus for us is that the mammal interaction happens to take place at a place where there's more to do and we have time to do it.

We will have no other opportunity for decent snorkeling due to other time and location constraints, so I'm thrilled to know we will have opportunity for it at Chankanaab. And thank you both again for letting me know we can enjoy snorkeling at Chankanaab.

Thank you for the advice to book privately because it will be less expensive than through the cruise line. I appreciate that and I agree with you. However, I view the added expense I'm paying as a form of insurance. Last year, Hurricane Isaac shortened my 7-day cruise by two days and completely changed our port itinerary. I imagine if I book with a tour company or directly with a venue that if I don't show up I don't get my money back. But when I book through Royal Caribbean I'm 100% protected; last year I had all my pre-paid excursions immediately refunded to me without any effort or pursuit on my part, and I like that. From what I understand, the dolphin/manatee encounter can sell out, and since it is a major focus of ours I can't leave it to chance to not book it in advance.

Again, many thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

Chankanaab is a nice park. You'll have a good time.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,503 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

When are you going

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

We did the visit with the Manatees there last November and absolutely loved it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

We're going during the first week in November, just over one month from now.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

The snorkel equipment is included in your entrance fee, but you do need to give a driver's license to secure the equipment.

I didn't think there was much to see, unless you were right near the steps, and there were fish there. Other than that... not great.

No comment on the mammal encounter.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

We always think the snorkeling there as well as the whole park is quite nice and for kids it is very nice. Plenty of shaded spots to sit , food, drinks , animal attractions , small lagoon for kids to swim. Very neat place.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling at Chankanaab?

The people who say they haven't seen much there probably never snorkeled to the dock area that surrounds the dolphin prison.

That area has the most variety of fish I have ever seen on Cozumel. Probably because of all the fish thrown to the captive dolphins.

I once read a post where the person here on TA said there were NO fish at Chankanaab. (LOL). SWIM, people.