We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sportbrella

michigan
Level Contributor
499 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
sportbrella

Do I have to check this umbrella in or can it go on as carry on

It weighs 8lbs and the length is 4.6 inches

Flying with American airlines

Thanks

Edited: 06 October 2013, 14:30
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sportbrella

In our experience, you are totally at the mercy of the gate agent on duty. Hubby has been forced to check a two piece fishing rod "because it is considered a weapon" on some flights and on others "it's no big deal". Some will tell you that it won't fit in the overhead and there is no place else to put it. Others will say, "no problem, it will stand in the FC closet". I think it has a great deal to do with how full the flight is, are you FC or Coach, how much additional carry-on do you have, etc. I know this isn't a lot of help, but we haven't found a definitive answer in all our years of flying. One day, yes...the next may be, no. Good luck.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sportbrella

4.6 inches? if its that small I would think it could be carryon. I dont think its restricted. Put it in a carryon bag.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 15:59
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sportbrella

I'm guessing he means 4 feet, 6 inches. If it weighs 8 lbs., its more than 4 inches long.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 16:03
Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sportbrella

If they wont let you carryon, maybe you could gate check it? Little bit better than checked luggage! That what they do with umbrella strollers.

michigan
Level Contributor
499 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sportbrella

Yes red u got it, xcuse my confusion but I have my holiday head to blame ;-)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sportbrella

No problem. I knew what you meant. You can try "faking it". Sometimes that works. If challenged, just say, "I called AA and they told me it would be no problem. This will fit standing up in the first class closet." You might be able to get away with it. If not, like cctexas says, gate check. You will still probably have to retrieve it after passport control in CZM, but it might get a little easier handling. Is it in a case? If not, you might try to binding it up and wrapping with something like bubble wrap for protection.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sportbrella

From my airline days, I have seen mixed results trying to get it past security and aboard the aircraft. One good option is gate check but then it is subject to damage and many airlines will make you sign a damage waiver. The first class closet is an option--if you want to buy a first class ticket.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sportbrella

I disagree. You don't have to buy a FC ticket to have a flight attendant put your umbrella in the closet. It's entirely at their discretion. I fly almost every week and see many things brought up to the FC closet from coach. Just depends on the FA and all the other factors mentioned. You're more likely to find space in the closet on the way to warm weather. It's not full of FC passenger's coats. All you can do is give it a try. If they ask you to check it, then do. That is why I recommend wrapping it a bit for protection. If it makes you feel better, my friend brings her beach umbrella every year from Toronto. It's always checked. Only in a flimsy bag and never has been broken. You'll be fine.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 23:48
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sportbrella

Not sure which airline you worked for but ours asked flight attendants to put only items from first class passengers in the closet. Most complied, some didn´t. It was not an effort to be rude to the passengers but if you start it with one passenger, you can soon have a problem. As for checking it, that is up to the passenger. I was only warning in case of damage, the airline will not be responsible.

No more discussion on my part. Only trying to give insight from the inside. Really, much ado about nothing.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sportbrella

Hey Red.....why don't you just say your suggestion is to LIE? Seriously?? I HOPE you don't work for an airline......yikes.

""" I knew what you meant. You can try "faking it". Sometimes that works. If challenged, just say, "I called AA and they told me it would be no problem.""""