We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

I have been wanting to do this. We use to be told on cruises to not do them, but I was always told that was because the cruise line did not get a kick back from it. I would really like too, so if you have, who do you suggest I book with?

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

I did it several years ago with the activity center at Secrets Aura. I felt very safe & really enjoyed it. I compare it to sitting in a swing looking out an airplane window. I recommend Dramamine if you are prone to sea sickness.

I have heard there can be a problem riding double if the people weigh too much.

Have fun!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

It's pretty safe.

But to be honest it's one of those things that looks much more fun than it actually is!

For me , compared to a good roller coaster as a 10 , parasailing is a 4.

All personal opinion,of course.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

If you have been wanting to do this, then by all means, do it! Walk to the end of the pier where your ship docks, mention it to one of the many vendors there, and I'd be willing to bet they will have you hooked up in a matter of minutes. Ive done it before, not in Coz though, and really enjoyed it.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
810 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

I don't want to be a buzz kill but I don't suggest doing it it is not safe , I witnessed an accident a few years ago where the boat carrying the parasail stalled and crashed the parasailers into a grass hut ! I have parasailed but after seeing this I would never do it again.

Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

Ive seen airplanes crash but I still fly.

usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

its a good idea if you dont get injured or killed

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

I did this over 20 years ago in Acapulco and "back in the day" you were not reeled in and out. I had to run on the beach, "jump" as soon as I reached the water and then the boat took off LOL.. On "landing" you had a certain colored chord to pull that would bring you down.. and I did almost land on a palapa.. THAT was fun.. scary but very quiet once you're up in the air. I would do it if I were you! The outfit at Club Cozumel Caribe is very professional and I would recommend them. If you are on a ship you can book the beach tour (not sure what it's called) and you can parasail right there. They reel you out and reel you back in..

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

Im sure its safe. I heard they change the line every time it breaks. Think ill rent a scooter instead.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

Do it if that's your bucket list item. Research the company carefully. Not all are regulated, checked, etc. Money does speak here for I guess what we call lobbyists. Some are just fine. Some are not. Beware the guys running around the beach with coupons.

Just check the company records, etc.

I'd sail before ever renting a scooter!

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
810 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parasailing...good idea or bad idea?

I've done it 3 times now and loved it each time...can't help you with the who as none were in Cozumel.

Mary Jane

"Never Sweat the Small Stuff"