We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike rentals ?

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bike rentals ?

O already looked at the " top questions" and didnt see any current info . Where / how much is a bike rental for the day ?

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike rentals ?

I know ISIS has bikes. Unsure of how much. You can email and ask. Be careful if you do get a bike, the taxis and things are crazy and hte roads are horrible. If you are in on a cruise i wouldn't get one. You can walk or easily take a taxi. If you are staying on the island i would get one and ride in the early mornings and late afternoons and avoid town. I used to ride a scooter and know how dangerous they are. My scooter days are over though becuase i have a good freind who lets me drive a car all week for free. No more scooters for me. enjoy

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike rentals ?

Use the search box above, type in bike rentals and scroll down for current posts. Bicycles can be alot of fun north of town and a little bit fun far south of town....but generally there's too much to look out for to really enjoy.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike rentals ?

I'm getting to be a Coz regular , been there 6-7 times or so for week long stays, so I know my around and know the dangers of riding . I just started biking this year and have done a 32 mile loop several times here at home , would love to circle the island one time . I'm an early riser , would leave the hotel around 7am. Think the views would be fantastic .

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike rentals ?

I'm getting to be a Coz regular , been there 6-7 times or so for week long stays, so I know my around and know the dangers of riding . I just started biking this year and have done a 32 mile loop several times here at home , would love to circle the island one time . I'm an early riser , would leave the hotel around 7am. Think the views would be fantastic .

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike rentals ?

That sounds great. Especially since a large part of the old road to the south and east are designated for bikes only now...but there are few vehicles here and there on that road.

North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike rentals ?

Here is a place to try: http://www.sombrerorentals.com/

I ended up purchasing a bike and storing it at a friend's when not on the island. I have been biking both in town and around the island for several years. I had mirrors installed which are very helpful to monitor traffic. I usually also go early in the morning. I have found the biggest menaces are crazy taxi drivers and mopeds weaving in and out and the ignoring of stop signs. Biking is a great way to get around and explore the different areas. Just make sure personal valuable items such as phones, cash, etc. are well secured or hidden out of view.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike rentals ?

I took a look at the link from above .. they have MT bikes for a nice rate ( 10 -15 bucks a day ) but the tri-bikes are set at 100 bucks a day ... so I'm a rookie at biking . I ride a Schwin Hybrid . Is riding one of the MT bikes a long distance like 30 plus miles doable ? Also I like a challenge , is biking to Passion Island doable ? thanks

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike rentals ?

I had no idea Isis had bicycles.

Whether 30 miles is "doable" depends entirely on you. For many people that's a walk in the park (especially as the island has practically no hills), but for many others it would be completely unrealistic.

The only way to reach Isla Pasion is on a boat. It's a peninsula rather than an island, but there are no usable roads leading there.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike rentals ?

On the east side, your biggest issues will be the cross wind and the sun. Most cars play nicey nice with the bikes.

The loop is about 38-40 miles or so. I did it in a MTB a couple of years ago and it was no big deal for me. The video is in the Top Questions for bikes.

The bike information on the "Top Questions" is reasonably static as it doesn't change much. The routes described are all still there.

For a nice, pleasurable ride, the North end has 5-6 miles of paved bike bath. If you ride up to Bahia Ciega (towards Passion Island) the road is a dirt road and bumpy, but again doable. It can be very dusty with cars passing you.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bike rentals ?

Mark and ms -- Thanks very much for your info . very helpful .