We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Flooding

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Street Flooding

According to media reports, Sunday and early Monday , heavy rains and the resulting flooding made the street impassible in the area of the Cozumel Caribe and Cozumeleño hotels. The mayor dispatched crews to remove the water and was on site to observe. He is said to be seeking solutions in this and several other areas of town.

In a subject that may be somewhat related due to heavy rains and standing water the goverment agency of National Epidemiological Surveillance ((Sinave) is warning of a more aggressive strain of dengue, that is on the rise in the area , especially Cozumel , Bacalar and Othon P. White. They recommended to see a doctor in case of any symptoms , and avoid taking aspirin .

Not intended to scare but only as a reminder to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites.

Here is a link, in Spanish, about the street flooding:

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

Houston
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Flooding

We're at the Playa Azul Hotel and it's day 2 of the street flooding and, so far, things aren't much better here on the north end. Only taxi vans and high-water vehicles are able to get through so hotel employees have to leave their scooters down the road and wade in or hope a vehicle will pick them up.

To make matters worse, the rain began again early this morning, stopped for a while, and it looks like another round is coming any minute.

Locals tell us they haven't seen this much rain in two years and they blame the flooding on the golf course construction.

As for the mosquito issue, we've been surprised by the absence of big numbers of them. We've been here in October with no rain and had swarms of them in early morning and dusk, but just a few this time. Maybe they're drowning!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Flooding

"blame the flooding on the golf course construction."

Thats hilarious, thanks for the update( I'll bring my waders ).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Flooding

It seems the street flooding situation has been worse this year but , I think, so have the rains. To his credit, the new mayor seems to be wading in, literally, to try to solve the problem.

As far as mosquitoes, I really haven't noticed them being worse. But, other than the one that gave me dengue fever, they usually don't really bother me.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Flooding

Totally agree! Dengue knocked me down for three weeks after our September visit.

on_my_way08
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Street Flooding

Oh no!

We are arriving in Cozumel tomorrow and renting a house near El Coz. Our host has emailed me to let me know that the road is closed to smaller vehicles. I'm guessing that we should cancel our car rental for now?

Can someone please update on the situation tomorrow morning?

Thanks!!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street Flooding

Wouldn't your host keep you updated? I would think that'd be the most dependable. I hope things improve asap.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
816 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street Flooding

Waters on the North side were fairly high early last week and receded quickly once the rain stopped. Mosquitos were surprisingly light. You just need a little sunshine!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street Flooding

Flooded streets are nothing new to Cozumel. This is the worst I recall in that area of the hotel zone.

Agree with froglegs regarding the rental property. Should be up to the host to keep you informed.

9. Re: Street Flooding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:18