We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Cozumeleno July 6-10

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
El Cozumeleno July 6-10

Just got back from the El Cozumeleno. Overall, we had a good time. We didn't book with an agency, just walked right past them about 50 yards and caught a cab. We beat all the transfers and were checked in and by the pool before they even arrived.

The resort is clean and well maintained. The pool water is in desperate need of attention. It was so cloudy you couldn't make out the figures in the bottom of the pool, the water was almost milky. Fairly gross. The food was below par. There were birds everywhere, literally standing in the serving dishes. Service was what you expect from an all inclusive. You tip when you order and you get Bacardi or Cuervo. Next trip, no tip and back to the house stuff.

We rented a car from Budget and when the guy came to pick me up we were accosted by an Executive Rentals agent. He demanded my name, my room number and asked over and over how I had gotten a hold of Budget. He told me that I couldn't go with him, that because I was staying at the El Cozumeleno I had to rent through him. I just told the guy to drive off. He did.

Mezcalitos was nice, not as cheap as I was lead to believe by friends, but good drinks and good food.

Antonio in the Dive Shop is a nice guy. We booked the Adult Sunset Cruise with him but it was cancelled. We didn't want to go on the Family Cruise the next night, and we had plans, and he gave us a hard time about wanting our money back. In the end we got our money back, no problems.

There were a TON of kids at the place. They were everywhere. Be aware that this is a family resort, not a place for those looking for peace and quiet.

On Saturday, I think, a group arrived from Corsicana, I believe. They were the most foul mouthed, obnoxious, inappropriate and belligerent group of people I have ever had the misfortune of witnessing. If we had had children with us, I would have asked them to tone it down a notch.

Overall, it’s a nice place, just don’t go in with great expectations. It’s an all inclusive resort, and there’s a reason it’s a 3 star resort.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
568 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

Was the pool like that all week? Sometimes after rain it gets cloudy but clears up after awhile. Everytime that a rental car company pics us up at the hotel, they ask that we watch for them and meet them at the street. I guess I know why now. The kids can be a problem, I agree. One more question, Is Corseana in Texas?

California
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

umm..I'm feeling a little unsure about my upcoming trip now!!

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

Hmmm... the water gets cloudy after it rains. This does not make sense to me and I have owned a pool for 20 years. Can it be something else?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
568 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

No, your right, that's the ocean that gets cloudy after rain. What do you think it is from hammersb?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

Great review, and about on the level I had thought. I appreciate your discerning honesty.

I am going to get myself into trouble here. I'm sure there are very nice people in Corsicana, however we have played sports with them. Rough.

California
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

Yes, thanks for your honesty. Everyone seems to have nothing but "perfect" reviews about the place! I am still a little weary though, I am afraid I did not make the right choice, seeing how it really is so family oriented. I don't mind kids and all, but I can't stand the unsupervised brat ones running around like crazy.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

I agree about the food. You should have had it 5 years ago...it is much better now, but still not good enough to be considered a strong point.

The murky pool is very concerning.

I have never noticed more than a 1/2 dozen kids every time I was there. I guess it depends on the time of year.

I was little confused at the minor jab taken at Antonio. If it was no problem, it probably should not have been brought up.

The El Coz is definitely not perfect. I like it because the real beach, snorkeling, oceanview rooms, and perfect turquoise blue water in front of it. If those things are important to you, there is no other AI in Cozumel that can offer that combination.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

Well, headed there in 2 weeks and appreciate your candor. Couple of questions:

1) Food - Any comments about snack bar, room service, sit down restaraunt?

2) Pool followup - you checked in and were sitting by the pool quite quickly but the pool water was murky. Did you spend most of your time at the pool on the sidelines? Were there people in there? Did you mention it to the management and if so, any comment?

Just curious. Thanks for sharing your trip info.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

It may have rained before we arrived, but it didn't rain a drop while we were there and the water was very cloudy. I don't know if it was sunscreen or dissolved ice cream that every kid seemed to be eating in the pool, or just a problem with their chemicals, but at times, you couldn't make out your own feet.

Kids - They were everywhere. Kicking water on you as you sat in the chairs, sticking thier little hands in the serving dishes, but mainly eating ice cream in the pool.

It wasn't meant as a jab to Antonio. He tried for minutes to convince us to go on the Family Cruise. I told him several times that we had plans. In the end, he did give us our money back. He is a wonderful spokesperson for the hotel. Unbelievably helpful, unbelievably nice, but a business person, and no one can blame him for that.

Yes, they were from Corsicana, Texas. By far the most improper, vile people I have ever been around.

Again, the place is clean and well maintained. The rooms are great. There are tons of activities for kids. They are constantly on the PA system lining up volleyball, ping pong, mini golf, stretching classes, water aerobics, spanish lessons, Mexican bracelet making classes, etc. The PA system is used for that and for the towel guy to sing "Beautiful" twice a day in broken English while crying and screaming. That was also annoying. You'll have a good time, but I was mislead by the glowing reviews of the place. It is a 3 star resort.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Cozumeleno July 6-10

Sorry - I didn't see those last questions until I had posted my last reply.

1) Food - Any comments about snack bar, room service, sit down restaraunt?

The food at the snack bar is hamburger, hot dog, nacho, french fries, sandwich, etc. type food. They start bringing it out around 1045 a.m. and refill when it runs low. Some things go quickly, such as the hamburgers, but other things sit there all day. The food reminded me of my elementary school cafeteria. Quantity over quality. The sit down restaurant was nothing to write home about. We only ate there one night, we went into town the other nights. We didn't order room service, so I can't speak to that.

2) Pool followup - you checked in and were sitting by the pool quite quickly but the pool water was murky. Did you spend most of your time at the pool on the sidelines? Were there people in there? Did you mention it to the management and if so, any comment?

Yeah, we arrived quickly and were by the pool quickly. Let me clarify - We weren't disgusted by the pool, we weren't afraid to get in, we just thought it was very cloudy. We had a room on the 8th floor, and when you looked down it was much more obvious that there was some sort of problem. The figures on the bottom of the pool couldn't be made out. I mentioned the water the the guy at the front desk and he said that he would mention it to the pool maintenance man. I never saw an improvement, but by now, it may be crystal clear.

Ask me anything you want, I'll tell you.