We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North end of town- shore snorkeling?

illinois
Level Contributor
560 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
North end of town- shore snorkeling?

We are looking for a moderate price place close to some shore snorkeling but maybe 4-5 blocks to centro. I did a search of shore snorkeling and there appears some but I could not read all the 170 pages of comments! Suggestions and what is water temp in early March? Muchas gracias

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,964 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

Look to the right and click on snorkeling on your own.

Hotels that are about 3/4 miles north of town include Coral Princess and the B Hotel. There are many condos for rent in this area as well.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

4 to 5 blocks to centro is not going to be easy walking distance to good shore snorkeling IMO...unless you walk alot and like walking...but it shouldn't be too hot of a walk in March. You might check Guido's Boutique Hotel. It is on the north end of centro. Then maybe you could walk to snorkel and cab back. You are welcome to snorkel & use the pool at hotels such as the ones mslf500 mentioned as long as you eat and drink there.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

I live 5 blocks from center and there is good shore snorkeling a five minute walk north. The small area north of the airport road and south of Puerto Abrigo that includes Condumel, Cantamar Condos, and Villa Aldora may be a good fit for you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
262 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

Take a look at the Flamingo hotel

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

I spent a week this past March at Palmas Reales. Every day I would walk south to Coral Princess, slip on my snorkel gear, and 'coast' back north to Palmas Reales. I always saw an abundance of life along the shore. Great structure, nice easy float back.

6. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 December 2013, 01:35
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

This OP is not on a cruise. The post says they are looking for accommodations. Plus I totally disagree that "snorkeling from shore is just as good as taking a boat".

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

Joan T:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for sure. IMO there isnt anything any more spectacular than the reefs of Cozumel, and if you havent experienced them, from a boat, then you havent seen THE BEST that Cozumel has to offer. That being said, tis true, there are MANY other spectacular things that we all love about this island! I wish I would have booked the tour you speak of, and will certainly put it on our bucket list. Thanks!

PS when you make a stay on the island, or even your next cruise stop, you really owe it to yourself to scuba. That can be done, certified or not. THATS the best way to see the reefs, up close and personal...

Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

I have been staying for 8 years now at el cozumeleno and I normally just hike down the shore 1/4 of a mile and drop in and drift back with the natural current of north to south. Sometimes I will walk a mile maybe a little more forwards town and drop in and swim and drift back to the north. Over the years I have learn how to pack a pair of light weight tennis shoes in my mesh fin and snorkel bag and put that over your shoulder as you swim back. Boat snorkeling depending where you go is better, but I see enough to keep me interested along the north shore. I normally snorkel three times a day. Have been lucky enough to see eagle rays a few times, eels, water snakes, octopus, squids, barracudas, and many different fish. One last thing is if you see star fish they are probably alive and need to stay in the water and if you pick a shell off the bottom make sure no one is living in the shell.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North end of town- shore snorkeling?

Agree that Coral Princess or Hotel B meet your request for "moderate price place close to some shore snorkeling". Although not "4-5 blocks" from the center of town, they are both walkable in decent weather and quite affordable in a taxi.