We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

tropicaljenn24
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

Is there a food bank on the island that we can drop off some no perishable food items to? We love the island and its people and would like to do some good when we are there.

thx

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

If you go to- Its all about the kids- Cozumel mexico- is a group that collects things for locals. I don't know if this is affiliated with the orphanage or not. I have seen lists of items they are requesting - just couldn't locate it right now, You can bring these items or give money for them to purchase, I like this because hopefully they are getting what they need.

The humane society always needs supplies and donations also,

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

Or you could contact Chrysalis Group, Cozumel.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

Why not just donate money?

I don't know if it's true in Mexico, but in the US food banks can buy food much, much more cheaply than you can. If you donate money, they can get exactly what they need when they need it, and a great deal more of it, rather than relying on the choices of donors. People tend to make judgments about what poor and hungry people should eat without knowing what they need. A good example for the US is all the people who donate boxed macaroni and cheese when recipients may not have the other ingredients (milk, etc) or equipment (colander, stove) required. Don't even get me started on canned beans.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

There are many groups helping people in Cozumel -- institutionalized charities as well as personal, grass-roots groups -- and you should seek those out.

The traditional way of giving food in Mexico is to purchase "dispensa" packs. I've seen these at Sams Club, Bodega Aurrera, and Mega -- they are widely available during hurricane season and Navidad and they're not expensive. Each box contains the basics: A bag of rice, A bag of beans, Cooking oil, Corn flour, and some other things.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

I hear you mark- When we had the tornadoes we had people donating furniture. The people had no houses to put it in. I think either get their list of needed supplies or give cash. I know htey always request toothbrushes and i hit up my dentist for some when im there.

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

Mark S is right on! Donating money goes a lot further than anything else. Here at home I do volunteer work for a charitable organisation that provides food to people in need. This organisation gets special discounts when buying food. Besides they are able to purchase exactly what they need.

Having said this if you are "stuck" with unopened non-perishable food at the end of your trip, by all means do try to give it to charitable organisations if you can.

7. Re: is there a "food bank" in cozumel to donate no perishable ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:18