We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather

ontario
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
weather

Hello, what is a reliable weather site to look at for Cozumel? Looking at weather underground from another forum it shows horrible weather lasting from now until the 19th, yet I know that when I have visited many times before the weather never seemed that bad. Is December always so rainy? We are due to land the 28th.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather

Easier said than done, but my advice is to ignore the weather forecast. They are not very accurate, especially "Accuweather".

Hurricane season is over and any rain will be spotty unless you get a wet norte, and they are usually over in a few days.

It is possible to have fun on Cozumel in the rain. Our May, 2012 trip was the wettest trip to Mexico in 24 years, with only four dry days on a 12 day trip.

Money Bar is a good place to spend a wet day, as is Club Cozumel Caribe.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 18:13
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather

I have a hard time understanding why people fret so much about what the weather might be like. If it rains...it's rains and you know you'll still have fun. We also had a wonderful day at CCC during a 3 day rain in the summer. There were only a total of 3 tables. I agree...stop even checking and rechecking and rechecking the weather forecast. It seems it'll just make you worry.

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather

I get to Coz tomarrow for 9 days. Some of my best trips have been rainy. You can still dive as long as the port does not close. I will take a rainy day in Coz over a cold, rainy day here in Texas anytime.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather

...the forecast probably won't help you anyway. We had three separate forecasts inform us that it was sunny, while we were getting wet eating breakfast! LOL Take it day by day. I'm not sure if every December is this rainy, but it was certainly our wettest trip.

ontario
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather

So it looks like no one can suggest a weather site. We have been to Cozumel approximately 7 times, and Mexico, 11of the last 12 years, always staying at the Iberostar, but in March. I am not a newbie to Cozumel, though far from an expert, hence asking the question. I am coming down with my kids so spending the day drinking at the bar is not an option. I agree, you can't control weather, but it does affect which items I may bring down. I always prefer to travel light!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,230 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Canada
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather

this site is pretty accurate...

www.timeanddate.com/weather/mexico/cozumel

Edited: 13 December 2013, 19:17
okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather

Undergorund weather is what i look at for weather. I just look becuse im totally hooked on cozumel it makes no difference to me. I am going in January and will be bringing a rainjacket and some type of long pants. I was there last feb during a norte and it was chilly I dive in swimsuit and t-shirt year round so i don't get cold easy. . enjoy

You said you stay at iberostar- have you ever stayed in town? You talk about having kids seems they would enjoy town and get bored at resort. I would have to have a rental car for the week to be that far out.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather

I'd suggest you bring some of those plastic poncho things and an umbrella. Something waterproof to keep electronics (iPad, iPhone, etc.) safe. Card/dice games.

As for kids being bored at a resort vs. in town...my kids like both. Both types of hotels have their merits. At least at a resort they can still play on the beach or go in the pool, watch the entertainment at night, kids' club, etc. if it's raining. At the Flamingo we'd be stuck in the lobby or our rooms during the rain (except we were usually OUTSIDE in the rain! None of us melted though) and our one night of "entertainment" was rained out (Abraham at the museo). Pros and cons to both...

Mentioned in this post
Flamingo Cancun Resort
Flamingo Cancun Resort
3,165 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather

In a pinch garbage bags make good raincoats...add an umbrella...travel umbrellas are tiny. Regarding weather...you're not an expert? Neither are any of us...haha. Take a few tiny travel games for the kids...new ones that they've never played before. Playing cards-toss the card in the pool game. Whoever retrieves the most cards wins.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
478 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather

While I agree that rain should not deter anyone, or even modify their plans that much, I have to say that the Norte around Thanksgiving which closed the harbor could be a significant event for someone who planned on diving every day. You have to admit, the norte had to have influenced many changes in schedule such as going to Bucano's or a sunset sail. True enough, plenty to keep me happy, but I saw a lot of plans changing on the fly.