We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to stay to snorkel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
places to stay to snorkel

Ok, so I've read many posts regarding places to stay. I realize Hurricane Wilma did major damage to the reef, but Cozumel continues to offer great snorkeling and sea life is returning. My husband and I want to go in March next year. We want a nice resort, good food, nice people but we really want snorkeling, as well, from the resort. I see where the Palace has no beach - which might difficult for me, but would consider it if the snorkeling is really good. I've been looking at El Cozumeleno, Cozumel Palace, Occidental Grand, Sunscape Saber and Secrets... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if it isn't one of the resorts I mentioned. Thanks so much!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to stay to snorkel

If you want to snorkel, then you need a place with a reef wall, not a sandy beach. It's been a while since I have snorkeled in front of the Palace, but it does have a reef wall. However the price point of the Palace is significantly higher that most hotels.

If you are looking for consistently good snorkeling right off the hotel property, then check out the hotels and condos at the North end.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: places to stay to snorkel

We have enjoyed decent snorkeling at hotel Cozumel. You can snorkel south all the way to the new dock and north to town if you want. I think the location and price of hotel Cozumel is often underated on these forums. The breakfast buffet has about everything you could want. Lunch and dinner is good enough for people who aren't very picky eaters, but most importantly the walkable proximity to town means you can eat lunch and dinner in town. The additional property they added to the beach club includes and nice protected tide-pool type entry to the ocean now verses the ladders that they used to have. Now it is easy to get in and out even under rough water conditions.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 05:28
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to stay to snorkel

Dont go to the Palace for the snorkeling. It was "just ok". Go there for everything else, fabulous resort, really good food, outstanding service, great location. Along the rock wall by the shore was decent, the rest is pretty barren.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 11:46
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to stay to snorkel

The snorkeling at El Coz is pretty good - they have a protected area inside their pier and you can walk south and snorkel north along the shore with lots to see. However, the food at El Coz is only fair, but it IS close to town and the price is usually low so you can go to town to eat a few times if necessary.

After staying at el coz a few times, we've switched to park royal - compared to el coz it's a notch down on snorkeling (still not bad though), but up at least two notches on food and a couple notches on everything else as well (grounds, entertainment, security).

MI
Level Contributor
630 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to stay to snorkel

Playa Azul. It's a mix of sandy / rocky beach area with great snorkeling. You can walk south down to Club Cozumel Caribe, jump in the water and float back to your hotel. You will pass different areas with docks and see lots of great fish.

MI
Level Contributor
630 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to stay to snorkel

Playa Azul. It's a mix of sandy / rocky beach area with great snorkeling. You can walk south down to Club Cozumel Caribe, jump in the water and float back to your hotel. You will pass different areas with docks and see lots of great fish.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to stay to snorkel

All those places mentioned have decent snorkeling and the hotels that do not have a beach are really quite surprisingly nice. They are usually smaller hotels and have great views as well as nice bars and pool areas right on the ocean. Very few places in cozumel have walkable beaches where you can walk a mile or two. Carnaval is at the end of Feb and first week of March if you go then. It is basically a family oriented mardi gras celebration. I hope you have a great trip .

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,992 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: places to stay to snorkel

Best snorkeling is via boats.

Shore snorkeling - soso imho - they have man made formations but not much coral

If you want great / excellent shore snorkeling, perhaps the mainland

illinois
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: places to stay to snorkel

I have stayed on the mainland before and had pretty good snorkeling - I think we were at barcelo palace. I've also heard akumal is great for snorkeling. I would love to return to Hawaii or go to Bonaire but its so much more expensive - but Mexico is great too!!!!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: places to stay to snorkel

njoy.....ditto sundogs comments that off mainland is better than cozumel....especially after Wilma. Do try Akumal and Puerto Morelos.

Absolutely recommend "Roatan" for the best off shore snorkeling in the caribbean. Been there twice. I wish I could move the reef from Roatan to Playa Del Carmen.