We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

My wife was at the Intercontinental Presidente a few minutes ago. We used to stay there several times a year until they began their increases in room rates to silly heights. We even bought a membership in their "vacation club" that we used for a time. We've continued to go to have snacks and drinks and snorkel at their nice little beach.

Until today. They are no longer willing to let non-guests use their beach area or, apparently, even eat at the restaurant without a ONE HUNDRED FORTY US DOLLAR payment. No, not pesos - dollars. No, this is not an outrageously overpriced day pass for an AI, as the hotel is non-AI.

This hotel appears to have truly lost it in terms of what they think the market will bear.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

Whaaaaaat?! So you have to pay an entrance fee for the honour of paying for your dinner???

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

It reminds me of an incident years ago. I had eaten breakfast there several times and decided to treat my Mexican family friends to breakfast there. We arrived in their car and were refused entry after telling them we were going for breakfast.. Since I had done the same, I fired off email accusing them of discrimination, which I think was the case, and received a denial along with food and drink coupons as well as beach passes. But I never returned.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

We pulled up to the front entrance a couple of years ago in a REALLY beat up, unsightly rental car and waited while our friend went in to confirm his reservation for the next night. They were NOT happy about it and made us move and wait somewhere else.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

Desmei, she was going to have some snacks and drinks (our 19 year-old son can pack away enough snacks to make for a very substantial bill) at their palapa restaurant/snack bar and do some snorkeling at their beach. It's not as if my wife had been trying to sneak in to use their beach without being a customer.

It seems likely that if she'd had dinner plans at Alfredo di Roma they wouldn't have tried to assess the fee, but that's not a place we would ever go to eat.

What's galling here is that I've been recommending this hotel for years. There was a time when we were there so often that the doormen and desk staff knew us by name, what room we'd last time, etc. Maybe they figured out there was no chance we'd ever stay there again. I dunno.

There are several other businesses on the island that have tried to weather tough times by jacking up prices or excluding locals. Both of these are terrible approaches that are doomed to fail.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

¨We pulled up to the front entrance a couple of years ago in a REALLY beat up, unsightly rental car¨

That pretty much describes the car we were in , froglegs. Could have been like some of the local VW rentals. But I really think it was the car full of locals that did us in.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

Ohhhhhkay, that makes a bit more sense...but not much. $140 for basically a day pass that allows you to spend more money.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

S'OK, Ive never had the desire to go there, anyway. Maybe, in the next lifetime....then again, maybe not **shrug**

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

It is an awesome place. Upgraded many times to suites, that I couldn't otherwise fantom. Member with IC card. That being said, if I'm not paying for my stay I don't frequent beaches unless they are public

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

It's well known that any northern hotel ,You can pop your head up after snorkeling and stay a while as long a you help the staff with drinks and eats!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Intercontinental Presidente has officially gone insane

I have also had an IC card (formerly Six Continents Club) and have favored IC hotels all over the world for years. I have been treated well and upgraded to suites in London, Berlin, New York and others. I have always considered the IC Presidente to be Cozumel´s finest.

Having said that, I find their local policies to be a bit heavy handed. I will continue to use other IC hotels but no longer I would use or recommend their Cozumel property.