We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel Crater

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,490 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel Crater

Sunday afternoon, a major road collapse occured on Avenida Xel Ha (aka 15), between Avenues 35 and 40. It is reported to be the largest ever collapse of this kind in Cozumel.As you can see, paving work is in progress in the area. The good thing, no one was driving over it at the time.

sipse.com/novedades/se-forma-un-socavon-en-c…

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,967 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,490 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel Crater

According to this article, the crater got high level attention. The governor of the state, happened to be at home on the island to celebrate his birthday and went to the scene to inspect. He promised immediate repair.

dqr.com.mx/index.php/component/content/artic…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,490 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel Crater

Correction, location should read, Avenida Xel Ha (aka 15), between Avenues 50 and 55.

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,967 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel Crater

Another reason to not ride motos, especially after dark.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel Crater

Thanks Jerry, I KNEW there was another reason! :)

My main reason is, I wanna live.... :cheers:

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,490 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel Crater

True, Jerry. You never know what you might come across on a moto.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel Crater

The left lane was just resurfaced in last 2 weeks, if you study the picture and look at the left edge of the hole, you can see where oil seeped down before the cave in......, Robert do you we have a wrecker large enough to have pulled out the asphalt machine had it gone it.....! There are at least 2 other cenotes within a 3 or 4 block readius of this hole....., this is inan area where the city drills some of it´s fancy drains for rain water. Pro moles/cavers are going in to explore to see how large this area is....! My cousin built a place over on the mainland near Akumal and ended up with a wine cave under his house, large enough to park a "big rig" in.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,490 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel Crater

Interesting, DonB. I doubt Cozumel would have a wrecker for such a large job. It would have been a long wait while one came from the mainland. Probably fortunate the hole in the street was all that happened. It could have taken some houses with it!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
8. Re: Cozumel Crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 06:18