We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest us a Dive Operator

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Suggest us a Dive Operator

We're staying at Casa Mexicana in San Miguel (thanks to Google street view) I noticed a jetty with divers tanks lined up opposite "Hacienda Tequila" just about 100yds uptown from of the ferry pier.

Anyone know which dive shops operate from this jetty?

Or any recommendations for this part of town?

Don't really want to have get taxis to a boat dock.

We are 2 experienced divers looking for non cattle boat rides.

Thanks folks,

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest us a Dive Operator

That would probably be the Aldora pier. My long time dive op Aldora uses it as does Blue XTSea. There are probably others.

Aldora.com

http://www.bluextseadiving.com/

Both stop at a beach club between dives which is good for toes in sand time.

Aldora has up to 120 cu ft tanks and can dive the east side if the west side is closed to diving.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest us a Dive Operator

Aldora uses the T-shaped jetty 2-min walk north from Casa Mexicana. My husband went on a couple of dives with them a week ago and he said he would go back to them again. We stayed at the sister hotel of Casa and we walked over to Casa for breakfast every morning. Breakfast starts at 7-ish, and the dive tour starts at 7:30am from the jetty.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest us a Dive Operator

Another option is Aqua Safari whose pier is closer to Casa Mexicana than the Aldora pier. It is almost across from the hotel.

Kutepanda raises a good point. When I stayed at Casa Mexicana, I tried to be close to first in line for breakfast since I had to be at the pier by 730 AM.

Now I usually get my breakfast to go from Rock n Java and eat it on the pier or on the boat. Some may skip breakfast and have a meal during the beach surface interval. I like breakfast.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 17:52
Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggest us a Dive Operator

I would suggest checking out Scubaboard's Cozumel sub forum.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggest us a Dive Operator

If I was downtown I would use one of the 2 copilot listed. you may get some specials booking with the dive shop with the hotel. I know suites Bahia which is a sister hotel has good dive packgs. I know nothing about the op though. .

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggest us a Dive Operator

Aldora leaves from the pier downtown but it has a 7:30 departure leaving you little time to enjoy your included breakfast buffet. That was mentioned to me on the dive boat by a couple who stayed there. Just a thought and if you are not one to rush it might be a concern. I like Aldora on the other hand for their service, steel tanks, long surface intervals and great boats.

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggest us a Dive Operator

I've picked Aldora too and they pick up from the pier at El Cantil. It's an early start for sure, just have to go to bed earlier.

8. Re: Suggest us a Dive Operator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:18