We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers, where to stay with two 19 year olds

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
first timers, where to stay with two 19 year olds

Working on a trip in November to Cozumel. Have not been before and taking two 19 year old girls with us. Looking for snorkeling, lots of beach time and activities. Would prefer an AI option. Advice would be appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers, where to stay with two 19 year olds

Need more Info. Why AI? Why not a condo with living room ,kitchen , and more than one bath. Many times more economical than hotel

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers, where to stay with two 19 year olds

With 19 year olds, I would think an AI with lots of activities would be the thing to focus on. That (or maybe the open bar) will be the thing they care about most. None of the beaches in Cozumel are not that great - usually a bit rocky (which makes for good snorkeling). But the southernmost hotels tend to have a little nicer beaches.

No matter where you look, I'd recommend pricing two rooms vs one - depending on the time of year you can likely get two for the same price as one.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers, where to stay with two 19 year olds

I think if you allow them to drink they wont care. I did shots with a father and his 18 year old son last trip. Of course the son said "yeah dad this is my first drink"-lol

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
249 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers, where to stay with two 19 year olds

A few years ago, we stayed at the El Cozumelena. The beach wasn't that great, actually small, however, we stayed because of the snorkeling at the resort. It was great...we walked down to some of the ruined hotels, and floated with the current. That being said, the food was terrible and cold, and wouldn't go back. (Maybe better now?) Stayed at Occidental Allegro last March, primarily for the beach, and really enjoyed! Food was limited at the buffet after 7 days, but good and hot non-the-less. Not much snorkeling like at the previously mentioned resort, but overall, one of our favorite all inclusives.

I can recommend taking the ferry to the mainland, and do a snorkel tour with Edventures. Sea turtles, cenotes (fantastic), the ruins, or an ATV jungle tour with lunch very reasonable. Took our daughters, in their early 20's, they loved every minute (as we did), so much so, booking again for this February.

I really like the laid back atmosphere of Cozumel, and that everything is paid for up front with an AI package. We ventured out to Coconuts for lunch, rented a jeep, and loved Punta Sur. The airport is MUCH better then dealing with Cancun, and if you can get a flight, I suggest avoiding Cancun/ferry route to Coz all together.

Most AI's I've been to have the same pool activities during the day, some better then others, as well as the entertainment at night. It's all been hit or miss, but they try hard every place I've been. We also bring cards and board games and make our own fun in the evening, as the "discos" are hit and miss, too.

I'd also recommend glancing at Playa, Tulum, and those areas in your planning stage. Great beaches and snorkeling. I book private transport from the Cancun airport (USA Transfers), and adore those areas as well.

We find packages much more affordable. When attempting to book separate (using a condo, etc), airfare is outrageous, at least from Detroit.

Hope this helped! Cozumel is one of our favorite places! Going for the 3rd time!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers, where to stay with two 19 year olds

How swanky do you want? If you can handle a solid 3* hotel, what about Hotel Coz? It's an easy walk to the centro and all the bars and restaurants nearby. Good snorkelling at the "beach" (man-made) and a huge pool. They have both AI and non-AI options.

I also find packages, or at least air+hotel to be a lot cheaper than booking separately; we spent a LOT more on a condo and the Hotel Flamingo than we ever did going AI with a flight.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 15:12
6. Re: first timers, where to stay with two 19 year olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19