We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Houston

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Layover in Houston

Hi There!

I am looking to book a flight to Cozumel in July. There is an option to fly from Chicago to Houston and then onto Cozumel through United (both ways). The flight lands in terminal C and leaves from E. The layover in Houston is 40 minutes, is that time too short? If it is too short, do you have any suggestions on how much time I should leave?

Thanks!

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Houston

If it is getting to Cozumel 40 minutes is more then enough but on the return trip you would need more time for going through customs.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Houston

I leave saturday and am going thru houston. I agree 40 minutes is enough going down, but need at least 2 hours minimum on way back. You have to get your bags go through customs and then recheck bags. Lines are long and move slow. Dont tell them you are in a hurry and afraid you might miss your flight or they will take their sweet time to try to make you miiss it. Do i sound bitter-I hope so.lol

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Houston

On the way down, probably. It's the return you have to watch for.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Houston

Never rely on the terminal departure and arrival locations. They can change minutes before the plane lands and pulls up to the gate. You are also flying in during thunderstorm season.

That being said, Houston is a big airport. If you miss your connection and don't want to wait until the next day, have them send you to Cancun and do the bag drag. We've done that a couple of times when we missed connections in CLT and IAH.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Houston

Agree with the others re: your layover time from Houston to Cozumel. For your return a 2 hour or more layover would be ideal.

I have Global Entry which allowed me to bypass the long customs line in Houston but going back through security even though I had all carry on bags, took forever! I had a 2 1/2 hour layover & ended up with 15 minutes to spare. Longer is better!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Houston

Airlines have their own MCT (Minimum Connect Times) at all hub airports. These times are determined by the airline and the dept of airports to determine the minimum amount of time is needed to connect from either a domestic to international flight, or a international flight to a domestic flight etc. thus when these times are determined, routes can be sold by the airline with these measures are in place. In a perfect world, if a flight segment can be sold using these measures, then a customer can under normal conditions connect from one flight to another using this formula. Now granted these connections do not account for weather, ATC (air traffic control) etc. in short, an airline cannot sell a ticket without adhering to these guidelines. In short a 40 min connect time going down and an hour or so coming back are within the guidelines of the airlines procedures. If you could find a connection with a longer time in between flights, then I would do so in today's crazy airline world.

USA
Level Contributor
553 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in Houston

I learned my lesson once - don't fly via Houston this time of the year, if you can help it! There's often "weather" in Houston. That aside, I'll never take a 40-minute layover; certainly not these days, and/or at a big airport, and/or one I'm not familiar with.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover in Houston

Last time we flew to CZM we had a 40 minute layover on United. Our flight was running a few minutes late. When we landed they had a cart waiting to take us to terminal E. We were the last to board and they were waiting on us to take off. I guess they would have departed a few minutes early had we been on time. I assume they could not take off early unless everyone was accounted for.

It's doable for sure and if you don't think you can make it I assume you could ask for a cart! The return I like to have 2 1/2 to 3 hrs though.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Layover in Houston

Terminal maps can be useful to know the layout before you arrive

http://www.fly2houston.com/iah-terminalMaps

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Layover in Houston

Good point Ron. They have a tram system which can take you around the airport in minutes to quickly get you to your gate.