We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty to the rescue

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
283 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty to the rescue

Have used executive car rental at the airport last 3 years Limbruth always waiting outside to pick us up. They have a limited amount of cars so we always book early 4 to 5 months. I emailed my flight arrival to their website and off we go. at arrival at airport 2 couples we were meeting arrived earlier and said they have not seen an executive rep, took a look for myself when a rep from another company said they closed their doors 2 months ago, went to their spot across from airport and sure enough the signage was down. walked over to thrifty asked for a car for ten days they had one but couln,t give the the internet price but would give me free extra driver which I needed twice. got a 4door air and automatic trans. with 25000 miles on . Thank you thrifty will use you next year

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

Im curious...how much was the rental?

connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

Never been charged for extra driver..is that common?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,424 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

I don´t know how common it is but I have been charged for an extra driver in various locations. Its best to ask. I think some assume extra drivers are ok and insured and they may not be.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

You are charged extra at Isis for extra drivers. Makes sense.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

internet would have been about 500 for ten days with a 250 deductible, no extra driver so about another 90 for ten days, thrifty gave me 10days for 740 no deductible and included extra driver

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

I know that I am committing unholy blasphemy by saying this here, but I have used Thrifty for years, really like them and never had a problem. In fact there was an accident one time, and I called the rep's cell phone (he gave it to me when I picked up my car) and even though it was at night, he came right over.

I would consider using ISIS because of all the glowing reviews, but when I am on vacation, sometimes "time" and "ease" trump other factors: When I arrive, I just walk across the circle, get my car and head to the hotel, all usually in less than 10 minutes total... No waiting for a shared ride, stopping to drop other passengers off, etc. That is a big factor to me, though maybe not to others.

Later, when its time to go home, I just drop off the car, and walk across the circle to the airport. No waiting (or paying) for a transport or taxi.

Thrifty has reliable cars, good service and is really easy to use. When on vacation, "easy" is pretty important to me. Your mileage may vary….

Edited: 28 January 2014, 16:25
Sussex, New Jersey
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

Am I missing something? I looked on Orbitz to see how much a car from Thrifty would cost and I am getting a quote of $132.99 for an economy with an automatic transmission. Looking around on Tripadvisor, it seems people have paid a lot more for a car. Are they getting bigger cars perhaps?

connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

You need to add to that the insurance which you will be charged and need to pay, it can be the same cost as the rental or more - don't think your credit card will cover you in Mexico for liability because it does not.

Youngstown, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

Froglegs, I have never been charged for extra drivers at Isis. We always have 2-3 drivers listed.

connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrifty to the rescue

I have never been charged either.