We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mpls
Level Contributor
71 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

have visited since 1978 and this time had a theft of all my id credit passport etc. It was difficult learning i had to go to Merida in another state to get a new passport! i was told the Us consulate on the island was ..'sick'. this is unacceptable!! and the country that requires my ID needs to provide a way to retrieve that , I had my bag stolen from me in a local van! while... it was on my back! never again will this occur as in other places i keep it secure on my neck close to the flesh. I learned you need to offer a reward on the TV and radio to even have a chance of return. i was treated poorly at radio Sol and shamed.. for the man not speaking english even though-- i spoke spanish!! lucky i had friends on the island who greatly assisted me or as a solo travelor would have been lost. Lucky i had a small amount of cash -ON my Body- or it truly would have been hell. Cozumel-please open your office or have a venue for similar travelors like me. this was written to inform not to complain. i love this island but the days of innocence are ended. i will return . does anyone know how to complain to the government? many islanders were not happy as well! thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

So sorry that this has happened to you! Pease keep us posted so that we can all be aware of outcome. Unfortunate experience for you, but great educational experience for the rest of us . Very fortunate to have friends on the island! once again so sorry this happened to you!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

It happens. Complaining to the govt. won't do any good IMO. Sure it's an inconvience but it is what it is.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

The local consul agent is being replaced and the US Consul in Merida is advertising for a replacement to work 8 hours per week. I think it will be much time before Cozumel gets more since the Consul has offices in Playa del Carmen and Cancun. And as far as passports, even the people in Cancun need to go to Merida.

Who´s government do you want to direct your complaint?

…state.gov/libraries/…20Agent.pdf

Edited: 07 February 2014, 21:54
cozumel
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

Okay...have to speak up here since I followed this saga on another forum. First, you were advised to go to the consulate or whatever it is called in Playa del Carmen by many folks trying to help you........but you listed the ferry and taxi fares as if you couldn't do it. People also suggested that you go to the radio station to place an ad, but they wanted to charge you 90 pesos and you refused and walked out angry. So how exactly were you "shamed"........just curious. And not only did you NOT have to go to Merida, but the consulate woman happened to come to CZM and you met her there after weeks of walking around with no ID.

Don't get me wrong, I am very sorry that this happened to you or to anyone anywhere.........but it's quite easy these days to go back and "review" anything posted on Facebook. I'd do it now if I weren't so lazy-- to pull up your story that has drastically changed.

I also happen to agree that CZM DOES need USA consulate representation.........but you need to get your story straight if you see what I mean........glad you got your passport back and again, I am sorry that this happened to you.......or anyone.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 22:06
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

Thanks for the info, Betsy.

And I agree, Cozumel needs a USA consulate rep., at least on the same level as the one in Playa, a Consular Agency.

I just saw this on the US Consulate, Merida website:

…state.gov/libraries/…20announcement_001.pdf

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

I wanted to add, for those interested, Samantha Mason, the US Consular representative for Playa del Carmen will be holding a “Town Hall” meeting on Friday, February 14th at 3pm. The meeting will be held at Tony Rome’s Restaurant, located on Av. 5 between Salas and 3rd. If you are on the island and have questions, might be a good chance to get some answers.

And, at the same time, give some support to Tony Rome. In spite of some unnecessary negative comments on a local forum. Tony has been a good friend to many on the island.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

OK, I have no idea why foreign embassies and consulates have offices where they do but isn't up to the US GOVERNMENT to determine where their offices will be (with the co-operation of the government of that country, of course). So complaining about Mexico and/or Cozumel in a travel forum is kinda barking up the wrong tree, no? Wouldn't your time be better spent appealing to the US government department that handles these sorts of things.

I'm sorry this happened to you but the reality is that petty crime exists EVERYWHERE. You are indignant that the local authorities were unable (or unwilling, depending upon your perspective) to help you but I'd bet that if this happened to a tourist visiting the US, they'd pretty much be told the same thing - contact your consulate. If the closest one happened to be across the other side of the State, well, tough toenails. And if you don't have a plan for getting emergency cash, well, that's too bad too.

The morale of this story is that anyone planning travel to a foreign country should contemplate a few worst case scenarios. Having fully fledged plans to deal with every eventuality isn't practical, of course, but having a way to access emergency cash is pretty basic and, IMHO, quite essential.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

I would like to know why you are walking around with all of your ID and passport on your person instead of having it locked up safe at your hotel or place you were staying at.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

Crave the wave- that's what I thought.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WE need a U.S> Consulate in-- cozumel!!!

How about the trip from airport to hotel or to get pesos from the bank without using atm's? They don't take copies