We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residencias Reef Questions

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
103 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Residencias Reef Questions

Hi all! Going on our 2nd trip to Cozumel with friends. Went last year and stayed at Hotel Cozumel. Group decided to go further south and get a condo and stay at Residencias Reef. 4 of the 6 are divers. For the non-divers (me included), have a few questions:

1-It looks like on the map there are a few beach clubs and other hotels nearby. Hard to tell distance. Could people give me an idea of what's within say 10 minute walk in either direction? For instance, Play Mia Beach Club and Mr. Sanchos looks about 1 km away to the south? Anything to the north? Looks a little more sparse that way.

2-How is the snorkeling in front of RR? For comparison purposes, I did snorkeling in front of Hotel Coz and Money Bar.

3-Will snorkeling tours pick us up from the piers located in front of RR? If so, a couple suggestions of companies would be great.

Thanks in advance! It's snowing like crazy here today and am dreaming of being on the beach soon!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
291 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

Snorkeling was okay infront of RR when we stayed in June last year. The pier is owned by Aura and they did not like us on there. We were picked up by a snorkeling boat and an Aura worker let one of our guides have it for picking us up, BUT he gladly took the $18 we paid in pier fees.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

Just wanted to add that I will be watching the answers as we are going to be staying at the same place in Dec. Can't wait either as it is below zero here and just got a foot of snow.... warmth, beach and cocktails--- take me away!!!!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
291 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

By the way, I am not great with walking distance...we had a Jeep the whole time, so I would not be a good judge of that...I am bad with distance to begin with..sorry. I know Paradise Beach club was walking distance down the beach, my cousin and his wife did it a couple of times.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
291 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

Chac-Choc tours picked us up at Aura Pier and it was a great snorkeling trip. We went to three reefs. We are thinking this trip about going out again with them one day and also going out one day on a snorkeling trip with Tiger. Both trips we will just be picked up at Money Bar and safe the grief from Aura workers.

Boston
Level Contributor
482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

Stayed at a nearby villa last week just South of Residencias Reefs.

Snorkeling only ok -- say a ray, a barracuda (near the pier mentioned above) and a small assortment of fish. Rocky entry. There is a small sandy-ish pathway right in front of Residencias Reef.

Walking distance heading south from the Residencias Reef (all VERY close)....a line of 4 villas, The Ocean Club (AI beach club), and the following beach clubs...Carlos 'n Charles, San Francisco, Paradise.

If you don't want to walk on the sand, all the aforementioned clubs are in easy walking distance on a paved road with a jogging/biking path as well.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

I will be in RR for the month of April and the condo comes with bikes. Thhis morning I went on Google Earth and mapped distances.

Via the road, from RR to Carlos and Charlies - .25 km

to Mr. Sanchos - 2 km

to Albertos - 4km

Everything is even closer along the beach.

If you go north it looks like there is better shore snorkeling along the iron shore with small pocket beaches for access. Take a look on Google Eath.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

Great information above, thanks a lot

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

Lots within walking distance. Our favourite beach club is Mr. Sancho's as they have an AI option. It is possible to walk to Money Bar (7 km) but I don't necessarily recommend it!

The snorkeling is just okay. A bit better in front of Sabor.

No one will pick you up at RR. If you want easy, just use whatever dive shop is at Secrets Aura.

It's a really nice condo complex--enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Secrets Aura Cozumel
Secrets Aura Cozumel
4,069 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

The reef close to shore is pretty beat up near RR. People walk on it. You have to go out a little ways.

We walked south to Carlos and Charlies from RR. That's a 5 minute walk if you go slow. ChiChi Charters had a boat on the beach. We negotiated directly with them and they did a really nice job with our 1 hour snorkel trip directly off shore. They took pictures for us, provided very nice quality equipment, did a great job with the kids, and brought a beer bucket. The reef was about 30 feet down. We saw an eagle ray at about 10ft distance. That was pretty spectacular.

Paradise beach is about another 5-10 minute walk after Carlos and Charlies. That place was packed that day. I've seen chili with fewer beans that tourists in that pool.

Never made it all the way to Mr. Sanchos.

To the north, it looked all-reclusive. Wasn't any place that was welcoming in beach walkers.

Mentioned in this post
Chichi Charters
Chichi Charters
553 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
103 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Residencias Reef Questions

Thanks all for the great responses! Good info. Have some more research to do with all the info from above!