We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

Cabot,AR
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

Hitting San Miguel in Cozumel soon on an upcoming cruise. Where't the best place to eat that's failrly inexpensive and has a place to sit down? Need it to be somewhat close to the pier, preferably on the main strip around the marketplace. Any suggestions?

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

Los Oates is close to the square. Cheap and fairly good authentic Mexican. Check reviews under restaurants.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

Lots of good restaurants right in the square. What is your idea of inexpensive? Los Otates is cheap, cheap, cheap (and really, really good) but a tiny bit off the beaten path. Very much a hole in the wall. Mosaicoz is more upscale (until you hit the bathroom. It's an experience) and more expensive, but the food is really good. Casa Denis has a good menu with varying prices. There are two restaurants, Doradas de Villa (or somesuch) and another right beside it...both good. We like La Mission.

Mentioned in this post
Los Otates
Los Otates
713 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Mosaicoz
Mosaicoz
115 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Casa Denis
Casa Denis
712 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
La Mission
La Mission
1,606 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

I hardly consider Los Oates off the beaten path but it is inexpensive and what I consider a hole in the wall but I love it. It's two and a half blocks off the square which takes like 5 five minutes to walk if that.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,314 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

Not a Los Oates fan but they are ok. I think years ago they were better before the tourists found them. I also dont really consider them off the beaten path. I rarely go to a place that close to the center. However, unless you are fortunate enough to dock at the Langosta pier in the center, most hole in the wall places are not near the other cruise piers.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 22:44
Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

El pique would be considered a hole in the wall.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
940 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

ElPique is only open at night! I suggest the restaurants mentioned on the square . Hole in the wall and close to the "main drag " is hard to find. Oates isn't to far off and would be worth the walk. LeChef is on 5, a bit more upscale that Oates if you would like something other than tacos.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

What the OP asked initially, Los Oates fits the bill. There are better and El Pique is one of them but only open at night. What pier are you arriving at?

Cabot,AR
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

We'll be coming off an excursion at the Aqua Safari pier.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 00:48
Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

Well you will be short walk to Los Otates which from your original question, fits your bill. Check the reviews on here and be the judge. Plenty of pictures to give you an idea of what to expect.

Mentioned in this post
Los Otates
Los Otates
713 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,314 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best "hole in the wall" place to eat in San Miguel, Cozumel?

Cozumel has many real hole in the wall type establishments. Compared to most of these, El Pique is a large restaurant, as is Otates. But the real hole in the walls are back in the colonias.