We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mega

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
mega

do they take pesos or dollars cant remember

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,736 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mega

Both last time I was there. And the change I got in pesos was close to the official rate.

Generally places in Cozumel will take pesos.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 23:01
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mega

was there March 2013. They take both.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mega

BE SURE to use small bills or pay as close to the total as possible. We were just ripped off today when we gave the cashier a $20 and the bill was $9.71 She gave us change of only 4 pesos and and when we questioned her she said we gave her a $10 USD. SHAME shame SHAME. There are thieves that will take your hard earned cash and you can do nothing about it.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,442 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mega

Sorry for your problem but never had any issues at Mega. And I often use large bills there to get change.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,926 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mega

I once truly thought that I gave a 20USD to a cashier once, and I was wrong. Boy did I feel like a jerk. Good thing that the Internet was not available then, as I would have felt really bad calling the cashiers thieves for my own mistake.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mega

I once got $10 dollars extra ($100 pesos) at Bancomer. I counted it four times and then went back to the bank, The teller didn't want to admit he made a mistake, in my favor! I made him count his drawer and oops, he turned red in the face. With all discretion so the supervisor wouldn't know, I slipped him the bill and all was good. I find minor errors in change more often than not to my benefit with some regularity.

I think most would agree that honesty is generally a prevailing trait on the island. There's always a few though ....

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mega

We know for a fact we gave $20, this girl pocketed the money. Shame on her, I do believe in Karma and told her to be careful what she does. Just want to make others aware that exact change or using pesos is the safest way to avoid this in the future.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,442 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mega

Of course, it is best to always use pesos. This is Mexico. But with an attitude that I know I am correct and the employee is a thief , Mega will be fortunate if the business is taken elsewhere. I will continue to shop there as I have since the day they opened.

Indy
Level Contributor
951 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mega

I tried to buy a bottle of water the other day at Mega and I only brought a $20 bill. She said she didn't have change and wouldn't sell it to me.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,442 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mega

That happens. While Mega gives a good exchange rate, they don't want someone buying a pack of gum and using a $50 to take advantage of the good exchange rate.