We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MegaMart BeWaRe

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
MegaMart BeWaRe

We are in Cozumel and love this place. However, tonight we were very disappointed at the MegaMart Grocery Store. Our bill totaled 9.71 USD and we gave the cashier a twenty dollar bill US. She gave us 4 pesos change. When we questioned it she stated we gave her only $10 USD. After much discussion we were told that we were incorrect. It seems this cashier decided to pocket the money and steal our $10 change. ALWAYS be sure to use small bills and pay as close as possible to the exact amount. We will not be going here EVER again. Do NOT like to be stolen from. I would recommend only carrying $5 and $1 USD. Just wanted to make everyone aware.

Sussex, New Jersey
Level Contributor
137 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

I've had that happen to me in the US as both a customer and as a cashier. Did you speak to a manager? When it happened while I was managing a store, we would count all the money in the drawer versus a export and see if it matches. If it was over, it went back to the customer.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,195 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

Sorry for your problem but have been going to Mega for many years without a problem. And I often do just the opposite of what you advise and use large bills since Mega gives a very favorable exchange rate. And in your case, may have been intentional or an honest error. No way to know in such cases.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

Their USD exchange rate was 13.10? She should have rung up whatever denomination bill she was listing toward your sale. If you were positive you gave a $20, as stated a manager could have been called. Could be an honest mistake or it could be an act of a dishonest employee. On rare occasions I pay in dollars, I'll likely use a $50 or $100 hoping to get pesos in change at a good exchange rate.

Most employees there are very honest, but there have been a couple and it merits calling attention to those.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
163 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

I also use large peso bills at Mega for change, not ever a problem so far.IF had a problem, I would definitely ask for the manager. Sorry this gave you a bad taste of Mega...

North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

I have also noticed at Mega that once you give them the money for your items that they then key it in on a separate calculator to determine the change owing. The receipt should indicate the time, cashier, etc. Definitely return and speak with the manager.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

Maybe you did give her a Ten spot and possibly you might have committed the mistake. I have never had Mega short change me since they opened. But I use pesos, instead of US. That alleviates most of the issues.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

We did speak to a manager, however it did not make a difference. I know for a fact that we gave her a $20 because that is all we had !! I definitely think this cashier was intentionally keying in the incorrect amount and just want to WARN everyone to pay close attention and maintain eye contact at all times. This kind of behavior is unacceptable, taking advantage of tourists is a bad practice. We will always use SMALL bills. Today we are going to get pesos and use them from here forward.

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

Good choice you are in mexico-use pesos.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,195 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

I agree, okd.. Always best to use pesos. I do use dollars at Mega at times because the exchange rate is good and I need the pesos. But as far as Mega goes, agree with Dan. I have done business with them since they opened and never once a problem with them.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MegaMart BeWaRe

No matter what store I am at I watch the register and I watch the amount they put in. They do that while the bill is still in their hand. It then gives you the amount you should receive back and I count that in front of them. I always greet the cashier in Spanish, watch what he/she is ringing up,(I have a general idea of how much the items are) smile at them and treat them with respect. I usually use pesos, but if they are offering a good rate I will use US$. IMO most of them are honest..there can be a bad apple anywhere, so you should always be looking out for number one.