We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

groceries

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
groceries

We are planning to rent a condo on the island in May wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy groceries?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: groceries

The big stores are Mega and Chedraui. You can use the search box above for more info. If you are staying north you pop into Sedena. It would be helpful to you if you buy a Mapchick map...they're great!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: groceries

Sedena is more of a convenience and dry goods store than grocery store. We own a place on the North end and use it for beer runs, toothpaste and miscellaneous things.

Stick with Mega or Chedraui for your normal food. Both offer an "Americanized" shopping trip. We prefer Mega as the selection is very nice.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,504 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: groceries

Another positive with Mega (not sure if it applies to Chedraui) is that they offer near bank rate on using US dollars.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: groceries

I have used Mega for most thing. I find all I need at good prices and a more pleasant shopping experience than Chedraui.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: groceries

Unfortunately, there is no place that will always provide one-stop shopping even for staples. We usually use, in order, Mega, Chedraui, Aki, and Soriana and rarely Bodega Aurrera (Wal-Mart) and Sam's. We often drive past Chedraui from our house to get to Mega.

Chedraui does have good Mexican and Cuban cigars at good prices and we prefer their odd, whimsical T-shirt collection.

The refurbishment of the old San Francisco into an Aki has resulted in a much less depressing shopping experience there and they have a decent booze selection. We mostly shop there if we happen to be in that part of town anyway.

The Soriana is a good place to check for produce when Mega and Chedraui are having off days, which definitely happens. We end up there infrequently.

SEDENA is unbeatable for Forschner kitchen knives, Victorinox Swiss Army knives, Cressi spearguns, other sporting goods such as quality binoculars, and top-quality vanilla but otherwise the main reason to use it would be if it's geographically convenient and you don't need anything unusual. Note that "usual" there would include Edam cheese, which is a local staple of which they usually have a quality version but otherwise they have a tiny dairy and produce selection.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: groceries

Mega by a mile.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: groceries

Love the bakery at Mega also.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: groceries

when staying @ El Cantil we usually stock up on essentials/basics or heavy things like beer, water, etc at Chedraui since it is right across the street and we walk and bring shopping cart to condo. The bellman then returns the cart to Chedraui for us. got spoiled on this routine before Mega was built. Then we go to Mega a few times for other needed items. Mega is more interesting and has things chedraui doesn't and I love to go there. But that being said Chedraui is smaller and easier to find things if you are in a hurry. For some reason I just feel funny taking a cab the short distance from Mega to El Cantil with heavy things I cannot carry!

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: groceries

I like Mega for sure. It's kinda like being in Walmart for me. lol

10. Re: groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:28