We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent a car for the whole week?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Should we rent a car for the whole week?

Four of us are staying at a private house in the Corpus Chrisi neighborhood of San Miguel April 13-20 and trying to decide if we should rent a car for the whole week, just for a few days, or rent a car at all.

We'd like to snorkel and explore beaches, probably for 4-5 of the 7 days we'll be there. We'll probably take an excursion one day, however, we don't know if transportation for that could be arranged.

I've been reading reviews and ISIS sounds like a great company to rent from, so we'd probably rent a car from them. But we're wondering if it's necessary.

What would you recommend?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

Seems like it would be easier just to have it the whole time, or maybe cut off a day on the beginning or end if you want to save a buck or two.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

Transportation can always be arranged. If you are snorkeling 4 or 5 days your cabs are going to get expensive. Course you can walk to good restaurants from your rental house. If you want to drink...use taxis.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

We just got back from 10 days on the island and rented a car for the entire 10 days. We like the flexibility to come and go as we please and not have to be dependent on taxi's. With a car, we went to a different beach everyday, went into town in the evenings, went to the east side several times ( I especially like to go to the east side in the early mornings to walk the beach and look for shells and other treasures). It was well worth it!!

lake erie ohio
Level Contributor
712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

Wd never rent from anyone but margarita for 20 yrs! 3 wks here 2 more to go and had our first accident. She was fantastic and the Mexico nightmares didn't happen becAuse of her intervention. Do NOT hesitate to rent from her!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
908 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

I like to rent a car for the entire time as well. Gives great flexibility, no depending on a cab for transportation. I am also a fan of Isis, I am renting her white beetle this month....the car has a big personality!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

I agree. I think the flexibility of having a rental car is a big plus. And the good thing, as others mentioned, you can such a pleasant rental experience if you rent from Margarita at ISIS.

Owatonna
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

Just got back yesterday and rented a car for half the trip. I would not hesitate to rent the whole week. Taxis are $6 plus tip for one way for 2-3 mile trip. This adds up quick especially if traveling further. I will not stress enough to reserve the car in advance. We waited and did it at the hotel from fiesta and it was $75 per day with insurance. I should have used ISIS like everyone else did. They were out of stock when I called them.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

I had friends who also tried ISIS and she had no more vehicles. Its a busy time of year and her brother and sister, she often uses for backup, are booked solid also. It reminds me when I once told Margarita she should expand her fleet and maybe add a few vans. Her response was typical of Margarita, " I don't need much money, Robert" .That is good. If she expanded, she would likely loose the personal "Margarita touch" and it wouldn't be ISIS.

south carolina
Level Contributor
224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

Does anyone know if Isis or any other "local" rental agencies do complementary pick up and drop off from airport?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we rent a car for the whole week?

They used to do that but aren't allowed to do it any more. Taxi union.