We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Topic
Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

We're headed to the Riviera Maya** to select a wedding venue, to that end we chose to fly in to CZM and out of CUN. What is the cheapest/fastest way to get from CZM to the ferry to Playa? (And assuming we should rent a car once we're in Playa, hopefully to be returned at CUN when we flight out?)

55% emphasis on budget, 45% emphasis on convenience

**We've never been and hope to cover a fair amount of ground checking out the different towns and islands.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

The only option from CZM to the ferry pier is the sharted van. You can, however, walk out to the street for a taxi, if you don't have much luggage.

From Playa to Cancun, the cheapest and best, in my option, is the ADO bus. However if you are planning to visit several places, the car may be your best option..

Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

I assume you will be staying in Cozumel for a day or two since you're flying into czm. Just take a taxi from your hotel to the ferry pier. Once you arrive in Playa, depending on where you are headed from there, you will have the options of a taxi, private transportation, or public transportation. As Robert mentioned, the ADO bus is the most economical. It is also very close to the ferry pier in Playa. It is much like a nice Greyhound bus, air conditioned, comfortable seating, and space for luggage.

Have you made reservations for your rental car yet? I'm unsure if you can rent a car in Playa and return it in Cancun. I guess it's possible, I just haven't heard of anyone returning a rental car to a different location that it was picked up.

If you were heading from Cozumel to Cancun, there is a small commuter jet that flies both directions...Mayair. It's not very expensive, but more than the ferry and the Ado bus combined.

While in Playa, you can hire a taxi for a day or by the hour to get you around Playa and it can be a lot less stressful than driving a rental in an area that you are unfamiliar with. You can usually negotiate a very reasonable fare with the taxi driver.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

I agree with Robert that the cheapest and best option is the ADO if you don't have a lot of luggage. If you do have luggage it's going to be a pain in the bottom to get on/off the ADO. And not to mention, from the highway to the beach/town is a long.........walk. You may have to take a taxi to get there.

If it's your first time in Playa, I would not recommend driving because they are very aggressive. I would go with what Bluegrass recommend. Hire a taxi for the day, this is the most efficient in my opinion.

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

Thank you all. This is very helpful. We chose to fly into CZM, just so we could fit seeing it into our schedule... however, I hadn't considered that we'd be dragging our luggage, so perhaps one night in Cozumel would be preferable. That being said, we will take your advice and from our hotel in CZM, take a taxi to the ferry. I suppose the remaining piece of info would be how to get from CZM to our hotel upon arrival? (We will have 2 personal items, 2 carryon's and 1 or 2 checked bags. We're fit and accustomed to walking).

To revisit the car rental idea... you've given me pause...

While I place tremendous value on the wisdom of those who've gone before me and will happily rely on them for decisions I needn't experience first myself (ie transportation)... I'm the girl who lept out of planes, dove in with sharks and backpacked thru Africa solo because vicarious living won't suffice. With no concept of the Riviera Maya... I'm finding it impossible to know which town, which resort, which island would speak to our vision? If I'm to race around from Tulum, Isla Mujeres, Puerto Muerloes, Playa del Carmen... maybe even Merida, won't I need my own set of wheels?

I have absolutely no idea where we should host this wedding. And with only five days to choose... thinking we're going to have to be highly mobile. With this additional information, would hiring taxi's by the day still be advisable?

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

Side note: bluegrassCB, I grew up about an hour and a half west of Shelbyville. Robert, is the SDF for Louisville?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

Yes, CAA, I worked for an airline at SDF.

" It is much like a nice Greyhound bus" . That is an insult to ADO ! Really only joking but the ADO buses are late model Mercedes buses and much nicer than Greyhound. And if you do decide on the bus, it is not really that much a hassle since you can hire a tricycle guy next to the ferry to take your bags to ADO.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

You are budgeting five days for this project and expecting to cover Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Cancun and then as far south as Tulum? What are you looking for, a church or just a place to hold a wedding?

You do know that church weddings are not legal marriages in Mexico? I guess a question would be, why a church in Mexico if it needs to be non-denominational Protestant in a region largely Catholic? Considering that, there's a multitude of resorts in your stated territory that offer wedding services. A full range of venues from open beach to inside with the capability of managing and housing your number of expected guests.

Cozumel would be easy, offer far more convenience, but you seem to have written off Cozumel. I think you need to choose your destination, then choose your venue. Cozumel and Cancun are the airports with International flights. People come to Cozumel and plan on a busy week for wedding planning. My opinion, you'd see nothing in Cozumel in a half a day, nothing sufficient for an event planning. You could go by and see the Presbyterian church I guess.

If the Cancun airport is your arrival preference for your guests, I'd say go straight to Playa on the ferry, then take the ADO airport bus and rent a car at the airport. That solves your drop off return problem. Or try to fly in and out of Cancun. Good luck

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

I have to agree with JerryAK. There is no way to experience that many locations in 5 days. If you give more information as to what you are looking for you will get a lot of first hand information on this forum. I am against destination weddings because of the financial burden put on your guests. Probably $2000 per couple

Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

It really is a small world when you find 3 Ky "hillbillies" on the same thread...and before anyone has a chance to say it, "and 3 that are literate"!?! Just kidding.

CAA...that's a "lot" of ground to cover in 5 days. Sounds like flying into CUN and renting a car at the airport is going to be your best bet. When you're in Playa, if you have time, take the ferry to Cozumel and hire a driver for a few hours while you're there.

Go on line to MapChick's Map Store and order maps for the areas you are going to try to cover. You will find invaluable advice in the maps. I always use them. Then you can make notes on them and so forth.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I say...have your wedding where ever your heart takes you.

And Robert's right....the ADO bus is 'much"

Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation Opinions? CZM to ferry, to Playa, then CUN?

oops...got a phone call and didn't finish before I hit submit.

And Robert's right....the ADO bus is 'much" nicer than a Greyhound!