We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat in Cozumel

Alliston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat in Cozumel

Hey everyone!

My husband and I will be staying at the Occidental Grande this coming April and were hoping to have at least one authentic Mexican meal outside of the resort. Any suggestions?

That being said, I am not exactly sure where our hotel is located but I am looking for somewhere relatively closeby as I don't want to go across the island and pay an arm and a leg for a taxi.

TIA :)

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

The Occidental is about 20 minutes south of town. If you don't want to make the trek (but I would recommend you do) is to walk a couple minutes south of you on the beach to Alberto's. Mainly seafood, but good mexican as well. Open air on the beach, doesn't look like much but the food is good.

But not going to town would be a mistake in my opinion. Right off the square is Casa Denis. La Choza also is good is Yucatan which is a little different from what you may think of as Mexican. Also La Mission. You can look up all 3 on the Cozumel restaurants page here.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

Definitely get off the resort and see mexico. You can rent a car for under $50 and go around the island to the wild side and then go to town for dinner. enjoy.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

Gusto's Restaurant is at your end of the island. But I agree with the other answers.

Lousiana
Level Contributor
61 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

Casa Denis has VERY good food. I don't typically eat much pork, but the mayan pork is the best pork i've ever had.

Central Nebraska
Level Contributor
404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

A lot of forum members recommend Casa Denis but I wasn't impressed. The food was edible but nothing to write home about. The margarita's were one step above water. The service was next to non-existent. We had to ask the server (an older gentleman) 3 times for our check to pay so we could leave and he would just nod and walk away. Finally the fourth time when we said "we are leaving now, if you want us to pay we need the check now" he finally brought us one.

It wasn't a good first impression of "local cuisine".

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

If you only have one night out, eat at El Moro. So good it was recently featured in The Washington Post.

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/on-cozum…

Indy
Level Contributor
987 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

I 2nd El Moro.

Sussex, New Jersey
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

I third El Moro and I have not eaten there yet. LOL A friend of ours recommended it so I added it to our list.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

Ohhh myyyy , just read the article. El Moro is on my list for next time. Thanks for the link. Hoping for panuchos but would be happy with anything.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat in Cozumel

I fourth El Moro :-)