We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

Coming in from a cruise, late August, Friday. I am looking for snorkeling, wife may snorkel abit but wants to lay around the beach with a fufu drink and a lounge chair. I have been snorkeling a couple times and have my own gear.

we had almost been convinced to just hang out at the money bar but still reading about playa Palancar, torn between the two.

What would YOU do in my situation? Again wife MAY snorkel but is really wanting to lay on the beach and have a nice drink or two and enjoy the scenery while i snorkel.

Michael

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

The beach is much nicer at Playa Palancar with an easier entry. You will have to get on a boat to go snorkeling though but well worth the cost as I don't think snorkeling at Money Bar is near as good after the Wilma.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Palancar
Playa Palancar
1,066 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

The snorkeling is only by boat trip at Palancar whereas you can snorkel off the beach at Money Bar, coming and going as you please. The snorkel trip at Palancar is awesome.

The food and drink is great at both places.

I will say this about the bano situation, something not usually mentioned here on TA. The men's restroom at Playa Palancar is absolutely, positively, 100% the most disgusting room I have EVER set foot into on the island of Cozumel. If you like nasty, dirty and rustic with no seats or A/C this is the place for you. If you want the cleanest, nicest restroom of any beach club (CCC is close) on the island, then Money Bar is the place.

Just my opinions, of course.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Palancar
Playa Palancar
1,066 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

The bathroom is nicer at Money Bar but who hangs in a bathroom anyway. That would not be my deciding factor.I have seen worse bathrooms here in Pennsylvania. .......lol.

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

The same people who clean the restrooms are the people who clean the kitchen areas.

Que mas? (LOL).

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

Playa Palancar is much further from town. If you plan to spend an entire day on the beach and not go into town, go to Palancar. If you want to do both beach/snorkel and head into town, go to The Money Bar.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Palancar
Playa Palancar
1,066 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
262 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

The deciding factor is a matter of priorities. I f the snorkeling quality is 1 st then the boat from Palancar is your best bet. If you want to be in & out of snorkeling all day the money bar wins. Both are enjoyable both have good food and the location only matters if there are other considerations you have'nt mentioned

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

Exactly.....Both are good but different and it all depends on what you want. I go to both often and it all depends on what I want on any given day.I dive so snorkeling is not a factor but I have snorkeled at Money Bar and it is not as good as it once was.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

Would somebody, please, provide price range for Money bar, Palancar - taxi to get there , entrance fee, cost of snorkeling trip from Palancar, food and drinks? is it better to rent a car to be more free?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

Snorkel boat from Palancar is $35. No entrance fee.

Foord and drinks at Money Bar cost a little more than PP but not much.

On a cruise I wouldn't bother w/ renting a car.

The difference in cab price might be about $5. Can't say how much a cab will be since we don't know at what pier you're arriving.

I'd go to both places for a few hours.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa palancar Vs the Money Bar?

Alex, do you have a Mapchick map, yet? It's really kind of a combination of map and guidebook and is very helpful.

There is no entrance fee at either of these beach clubs but you'll need to buy food and/or drinks to get that welcomed feeling.

The snorkel trip at Plancar is about $35 US per person and takes about 90 minutes.

We like to rent a car at Isis for maximum freedom to move about the island.

A full day for us at Money Bar with several bottled waters, lunch, ceviche and more margaritas than I will admit to consuming runs the two of us about $90 US.

Treat Roberto with respect and speak a little Spanish and you will get great "beach" waiter service at Money Bar.