We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel from shore

Montreal
Level Contributor
24 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel from shore

Hello

Which will be the best options to do snorkel from shore in Cozumel ?

Thanks

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel from shore

have you read the Top Questions

Are you staying a few days or a cruise

HINT

From the Cozumel Destination Experts

Snorkeling On Your Own From Shore?

Snorkeling on your own for an hour or two is a great way to see the underwater life.

Snorkeling on Your Own From Shore

Places to Snorkel on Your Own ... (more)

Edited: 20 March 2014, 03:07
Gahanna, Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel from shore

The North Hotel Zone of the island is excellent shore snorkeling. Enter at Coral Princess or Hotel B and snorkel up and down the rocky coastline. You will love it.

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
229 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel from shore

I liked snorkeling at the beach at the 'Playa Azul' hotel, just north of town.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel from shore

Since you are only on the island from a cruise ship (found this from other posts you've made), one of the beach clubs would be a good choice. Many people like Playa Palancar (south) or Buccanos (north).

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel from shore

Playa Palancar doesn't have any shore snorkeling at all. You go from a boat out to the reefs. The beach there is beautiful but a sandy...so it's like an underwater desert (w/ no fish).

We like Playa Azul, Playa Corona and Punta Sur Park.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 16:16
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel from shore

We were at Playa Corona in November and it reminded me of an underwater desert, as well. Some fans in the area, very few fish. Nice laid back beach club though, decent food and cold drinks.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel from shore

Money Bar - La Palapita and Playa Corona are usually on my circuit when I go south to shore snorkel. I stay at a condo on the north side so snorkel right from there up and down the north wall.

Boston...
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel from shore

There are three areas I like south of town:

Intercontinental Presidente to the Money Bar. Just south of the Intercontinental Presidente there is a dirt parking area that bridges the gap between the road and the shore. There is a small “cove” the size of a swimming pool here that makes access a snap. I snorkel from here south along the shore to the Money Bar. There is a lot to see. Fish and isolated coral- even some artificial reef structures down near the Money Bar. Just south of the Money Bar is a pile of concrete dock debris that holds a wide variety of fish. It is marked with a white bouy.

Chankanaab National Park to Playa Corona. I park off the dirt road just south of the park and snorkel south to the Playa Corona Bar. Nice drop off from the iron shore- I have seen spotted eagle rays and tons of fish. Be aware that you need to go all the way to the Playa Corona as getting out of the water over the iron shore wall is not an option.

Punta Sur - the reef is shallow there and full of great fish including stingrays and a black groupers. The swim out to the reef is a long one, but there are some rafts set along the way that you can rest at if need be.

Suburban DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel from shore

I snorkeled at MoneyBar last June and saw a stingray the size of a king sized mattress! It was amazing. Just be aware of the currents. Start your snorkel adventure kicking against the current so you can float back at your leisure.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkel from shore

Fishguy's reply could have been written by me, as I frequently do those as well, with great results. HOWEVER…

Its all dependent of which way the current is going: The current is usually running to the South from "the swimming pool" as I call it. It if is, then I do what FIshguy suggested and float down to the Money Bar. if, instead, the current is running North, I usually drift up to the El Presidente, but sometimes go ahead and drift on to far opposite side of the marina entrance. There is a lot of marine life over there as well. But if the current is running toward the North, I usually put in at The Money Bar instead, and then drift to the El Presidente, for a longer float.

Either way PLEASE, take some sort of marker float with you, to make sure you are seen by boat operators. They only cost around $25 at scuba.com or a place like that, so there's no excuse for taking the chance of not being seen...

Punta Sur is also great, but you will need some sort of transportation to get there. While a cab can take you there, it can be a long wait at the park entrance for another one to happen by to take you back to town when you are done.

Hope this helps.