We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New resorts in Cozumel

Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New resorts in Cozumel

I have been to Cozumel 9 times stayed at the Iberostar for 8 of them. The other time was Hotel Cozumelina ( spelling) but was not a fan. It has been since 2008 since I have been down there. I am wondering if there are some new resorts that I should look at before I make another trip down. If you could tell me when you went and approximately how much you spent. I spend a lot of time scuba diving down there so a dive shop on the resort would be good as well.

Thanks in advance

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

Some hotels have changed hands/names. Other than that normal occurrence, I can't remember any new major hotels.

What do you want in a facility?

Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

Would like a dive shop, great pool. What can you tell me about the resort Azure?? I saw a lot of negative comments about it, am wondering if that is the norm or just some grumpy people. I love that Iberostar since it has its own little huts. Besides that just wanting to find a place to go that will be clean, good food, and fun environment.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

I do not recognize "Azure."

If you mean Playa Azul, that is a small to medium (for Cozumel) place that is highly regarded by many so I would be skeptical of many bad reviews.

Perhaps you mean Aura south of town.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
173 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

You mean Playa Azul? Or Aura which is now Secrets? PA is a long ride from the dive sites but a lovely little place and has an AI option. You might find the environment a bit 'sleepy'. I would say none of the resorts on the island are very happening past 10 or 11 p.m. because the divers are off to bed early.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
173 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

My last trip was in 2012. Stayed at casa mexicana for $54 USD per night. It was one of our best trips. We had a car for the week so not having a beach or pool was not an issue. It was nice being able to walk out the front door at night and easily walk to our favorite restaurants. Our previous trips were el cozumeleno in 08 and condos in 10&11

Edited: 26 March 2014, 20:51
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
856 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

when will Fiesta Americana reopen?? i would consider that "new"..also, anybody know about a new resort to be built at isla Passion? although i doubt that would be conducive to the best diving

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,283 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

Casa Mexicana is always an excellent choice in my opinion. But not new.

Seems no one really knows when Fiesta Americana will reopen--or if it will even be Fiesta Americana.

It has long been reported that a new Sheraton would open but , according to what I read this week, they have never applied for permits. I have read that the new boutique resort on isla Passion has all the permits but have seen nothing about completion plans.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Casa Mexicana Cozumel
1,241 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

I would not plan on staying at what was the Fiesta Americana until it actually opens. Ignore any projected opening dates.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,283 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

I would not book any hotel based on projected opening . I would not stay there for awhile after opening since they are likely to have a partial opening while construction is still in progress.They have a long ways to go.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
966 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New resorts in Cozumel

I think he is talking about Aura.

Yes it has changed ever since Secrets took it over .... some pretty interesting reviews.

We loved it when it was just Aura a few years back .... we opted out of going back after it changed over and got such poor reviews. Now we are staying at Presidente :)