We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
868 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

Just booked El Coz for Nov 14, 5th time back, great price to use as a base camp to explore the island, etc. I have been reading reviews about guests reserving beach chairs in the middle of the night for the next day's use. Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly but when we visited last we were issued a towel card and we had to turn that in for a towel. At the end of the stay no card = $25 fee. Now, if you don't have a towel to turn in then you don't get your card back, and you are charged the fee. Which means that all these people are reserving loungers with $25 towels and letting them sit to be taken away, stolen, etc, correct?

I know Cozumel is fairly safe, but I wouldn't even leave my flip flops outside the door to my room at the Lido Beach Resort in FL for fear of them walking away without my consent. Do people not care or just not understand that leaving personal items alone on the public beach is pretty brave?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

Apparently the towels aren't being taken...or if they are they just get another one somehow.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

Maybe if it gets taken...they take somebody else's...lol.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

IT seems anymore that with social media that problems with hotels are being handled quickly. I have read reviews that people suggest things and the hotels are addressing issues. This lounge saving has always been a issue at some resorts. It's true that the El Coz could use some more chairs and really really needs more shade options but it's the guests that create the problem with the seat saving. They should tell guest when checking in that it is not allowed and have staff empty all items off chairs left unattended for several hours.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

thats exactly what i was implying froglegs :)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
868 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

So you all don't think I would get decked for moving someone's belongings if they abandon their lounger for more than say, 2-3 hours? I have never had any issues before and would never think of touching someone else's stuff, AND I would never leave the $25 towel unattended if I could help it. But I may if I have to....

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

I would have no problem moving abandoned property out of my way. I would wait a reasonable time. Turn it in to hotel staff for lost and found.

PA
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

Those people doing the middle of the night "reserving" may be using a towel from home. We brought our own when we used to stay there because someone decided to snitch ours while we were in the water and we were NOT reserving a chair with it. Also we take our own towels so that we can take them when we snorkel around the island.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

Terriv, I would have hotel staff do it. Present your "case" to staff, and if they agree, then they should move it. No, I wouldnt move somebody else's stuff, but thats just me. Then, let the owner deal with staff, not you.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

If I was at the Palace, i would let the staff deal with it and they would. at El Coz I dont recall seeing much staff which is why I would move it and take it to a staff member assuming I could find one. front desk would do.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
868 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Coz Lounger/Towel Question/Comment

I hope I don't run into these issues in November. It may have been worth the extra $$$ to book down the road at Playa Azul which is full of palapas and loungers, and in mid-November, no other guests. Oh well, too late now. Guess I am packing my own beach towel, and pillow.