We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel or Isla Mujeres

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel or Isla Mujeres

I am sure this question has been asked before but I am asking it again. I am not sure if this belongs in this forum or the Cancun forum?? Which island do you think will be better for my family? We are planning a day trip (no overnight stays). We will be traveling with our children 13,8 & 1.5. My mother-in-law and her boyfriend will also be joining us. We are looking for great snorkeling areas that will be safe to swim in for our older children. We will have our own gear and are on a budget so we are not looking to pay for a snorkel trip. We are also looking for family friendly acitivities and of course good cheap food (tacos de adobada, carne asada, pescado, etc). So given the information, would Cozumel or Isla Mujeres fit our needs better? Any tips or suggestions?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel or Isla Mujeres

Are you staying in Cancun? If yes, then Mujeres is a lot more convenient but I wouldn't categorize the snorkel experience as 'great' just ok.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel or Isla Mujeres

You can certainly snorkel from shore in Isla Mujeres; it is not the 'best', but by all means do-able. To be honest, I think your kids will enjoy it at their ages and no additional cost as it is right off-shore. Isla is a much smaller island, and you will be able to explore more of it in less time.

Que se diviertan!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel or Isla Mujeres

Ferry to Coz $326mp pp

Ferry to Isla. $146mp pp

These are rt prices and children may be lower.

You will also have transportation to Playa del Carmen, the cheapest being the bus at $58mp rt pp...again children may be cheaper. Trip to Coz about 2 hours one way. If I were in Cancun my choice would be Isla. If I were in Playa del Carmen my choice would be Coz.

4. Re: Cozumel or Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:17