We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under water scooter in Cozumel

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Under water scooter in Cozumel

We will be heading to Cozumel next week, and I heard there is a place that rents underwater scooters/motorcycles. Does anyone know about this place? I have searched and searched but to no avail. Also please give recommendations on transportation from Cozumel airport to the Palace hotel, and a safe place to rent VW bugs to tour the island. What places should we visit on the island when we drive around?

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

There were a couple different things that came to mind. Dive shops rent underwater propulsion machines- i guess you wold call them. I know i saw them for rent on brochure at dive paradise where i dive. Also SNUBA came to mind- there are a few places that do that. Hope this helps.

Pardeeville, WI
Level Contributor
133 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

You may want to use the search button to find answers to questions like "transportation from the airport" or "rent car". These topics are covered frequently on the forum and you should be able to find answers easily. You can also use the TOP QUESTIONS on the right side of the page to get answers. Good luck!

Pardeeville, WI
Level Contributor
133 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

You may want to use the search button to find answers to questions like "transportation from the airport" or "rent car". These topics are covered frequently on the forum and you should be able to find answers easily. You can also use the TOP QUESTIONS on the right side of the page to get answers. Good luck!

Edited: 25 April 2014, 18:17
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
819 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

Be wary of the 'underwater scooters'. Vision is highly impaired/distorted and you are very limited as to where you can go and what you see with them. From some of the reviews I found of these underwater propulsion devices (not exclusive to Mexico), there is no guarantee the person in it before you did not get sick to their stomach. Even if cleaned, they don't get much fresh air and an odor can remain.

connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

My son did this a couple times in Coz, we went to the dive shop @ Hotel Cozumel just walk thru the dive shop and head to your right out on the beach there you will see them unless you have a group of people you may have to ask someone what time you can sign up as they normally go with a few people in a group. Or you can sign up here but will probably cost more than just showing up. cozumelwatersports.com/ToursExcursions/MiniS…

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

christine c, there are 2 things that might be called an "underwater scooter".

One is more properly called a Diver Propulsion Vehicle ("DPV") and requires not only dive training but specific training in the use of a DPV. I have never seen a good one for rent in Cozumel. There are also cheap "pool-type" scooters that aren't appropriate for use at technical depths.

The other thing is a weird contraption that combines a sit-on vehicle, an air cylinder, and a clear dive helmet. Here's a link: http://bit.ly/QFPmOw

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,349 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

That might be the only safe place to rent a scooter in Cozumel. You definitely don´t want to do it on land.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

One thing I know for sure is that the scooters Margarita rents out at Isis are NOT for underwater use.

Don't ask....................

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

OK, I'm a bit confused by the title & can say there used to be at least 1 company offering snorkeling tours using torpedo like scooters. I haven't seen them on either of my last 2 or maybe even 3 visits but they were located along the stretch of water between Villablance Hotel & Palmar Condos. As for the scooters at Hotel Cozumel they call them "mini subs" but I can see calling them a scooter too so this might help.

…google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules/CozumelMiniS…

10. Re: Under water scooter in Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16