We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

Just curious, I have seen yes and no. I know you have to watch them closely and be sure the pumps are right before they start pumping, but do you tip?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

I do. And I have never had anyone try to cheat me at Pemex. But I think they learn the regulars who tip them and don´t want to mess with a good thing.

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

We usually tip 4 or 5 pesos.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

The reputation of the Pemex guys precedes them when it comes to tourists.....

I wonder why they should be rewarded for not ripping you off while you are watching them like a hawk. Does anyone tip the guy that pumps your gas in the US? Honestly, they probably make more money ripping you off than being honest and you tipping them. However, 4-5 pesos for watching them not rip you off should be (a ) fine.

The "regulars"? I've paid for a lot of gas on the island, but I've never gotten the same guy twice. I doubt he remembers me.

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

I don't know if the gas attendants get paid in Mexico or paid very much. I usually tip them when they clean my windshield. Same as the people who put your groceries in the bags, the baggers do not get paid and they have to get permission from the store to bag. Same with the parking guys who will flag you into or of of a parking spot in town.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

Sun2994, I agree. the baggers at MEGA are working for free. The guys at PEMEX, not so much.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

PEMEX workers are minimum wage and generally 99% of them are honest (over all Mexico). Of course in tourist areas they try to take advantage which is unforgivable. Many local people don't tip them but most give 2-3 pesos. There is no obligation to although if, as stated earlier, they clean your windshield they will expect 5+ pesos.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

Minimum wage earners that have tremendous responsibility. They have to balance their accounts at the end of each shift. Of course they should be tipped. Some locals only buying $15 pesos worth of gas will try to tip 50 centavos. Mark, you might be surprised at how well people get remembered.

The "trick" now is for them to pump the gas and then "reset" the pumps to show a set amount for the next customer. The clue being the liters pumped will say zero. I wonder sometimes if tourist scams may be to make up for shortfalls in cash and what has been pumped during their shift. Considering they get the full $5 dollars a day in salary for the responsibility of handling hundreds if not into the thousands of dollars worth of fuel, giving receipts etc. a small tip is chump change.

The people with the dazed, deer in the headlights look have been scammed at times, true. I have only received courteous and professional service buying gas all over Mexico, including hand pumped gas in an isolated area beyond the electrical grid.

$5 to $10 pesos depending on the service besides pumping would be customary.

One time at ISSSTE, the government store (closed now) for State workers, the cashier was running out of change for the register. She called the bag boy working for free to cash in his change for paper money, the "poor kid must have had over $200 pesos when minimum wage was around $35 pesos. Depending on the quality of service, whether the bread is packed on top or below the canned goods, I might tip kid baggers $3-5 pesos. The mature adults that tend to be the baggers at Sorianna are truly competent, bagging groceries as they wished to receive them themselves. Those adults supporting themselves and or their families, I often tip more. Kids working while required to maintain good grades is a good thing, but saving for a new video game or trendy sneakers doesn't tug at my heart strings as someone working to put food on the table..

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

Good comments and facts from Steve and Jerry. And , of course, when you are a regular customer, the guys at Pemex remember you. A couple of them know exactly what I want without asking. They give me good service, they get a tip. Many people that I tip in Mexico that I don;t in the US including the guys who pump gas, the baggers at the grocery and the guys who "assist" you when parking. I try to go with local custom.

I have seen the same scene as Jerry at the grocery with the cashier asking a bagger for change. I always tip them sometimes better than others. One girl is always so polite to me at Mega and I tip her better than others. At Christmas, I put a folded 100 peso note in her hand with a Feliz Navidad. Many smiles.

9. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 14:35
Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tip the gentleman at the gas station?

WOW! I was not aware that the baggers worked for FREE! I usually tip but now I will tip much more than the couple of pesos I normally do.