We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding the Best Airfare

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,060 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Finding the Best Airfare

Everyone has their own suggestions and methods but you might find this site interesting. It lets you create customized reports for various travel functions, including best times for lowest airfares.

http://www.hopper.com/tools

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding the Best Airfare

I combine Hopper with Matrix to search out airfares *and* determine what might be the best time to buy, then buy my actual (e-) tickets on Expedia.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,060 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding the Best Airfare

Good plan, Mark. I knew about Hopper but had forgotten it. It is a good tool to combine with others.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 21:03
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding the Best Airfare

Mark, just out of curiosity, why do you buy on Expedia and not on the airlines website directly. They aren't any cheaper and then you have two change fees, the airlines won't talk to you since you booked with Expedia, etc. It seems to me to make no sense to deal with a 3rd party unless you are dealing with a travel agent (who books directly with the airline)?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding the Best Airfare

I have actually found cheaper rates on Orbitz & Expedia for air only instead of booking directly w/ the airline. Odd (sorta) but true. I guess the travel sites bought blocks of seats from the airline and are offering them cheaper. Depends on calendar.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding the Best Airfare

"why do you buy on Expedia"

I get points toward Elite Plus, which offers some nifty hotel upgrades. Buying directly on the airline website gets me nothing extra.

"then you have two change fees"

I have no clue what this means.

It's absolutely untrue that if I need to change a flight that both Expedia and the airline charge a change fee, if that's what you meant. From personal experience, Expedia does not charge change fees.

"the airlines won't talk to you since you booked with Expedia"

It's odd that you've had this experience (you *are* speaking from experience rather than theory, right?), since I most certainly have not. Airlines don't care where you booked, whether directly with them, through a ritzy travel agent, or a travel aggregator website. I've had numerous reasons to deal with an airline about an itinerary booked through Expedia, and where I booked has never been an issue. We've canceled, rescheduled, upgraded, and done just about anything I can imagine needing to deal with an airline about.

Where Expedia falls flat is on search. There's just not enough flexibility compared with ITA Matrix.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding the Best Airfare

I absolutely have experience with this (I have more clients than I can count try this and then call and ask for help and the airlines won't talk to me or anyone but expedia to make changes,etc) and they do charge change fees. Maybe because you are an elite they do not. Go over on the air travel forum and ask. Airlines will certainly tell you to go back to where you booked and go there. I guess you have been very lucky.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding the Best Airfare

I just checked three different itineraries with three different airlines and they all have one change fee (so easy to think there is only one) but it is $50 higher in each case than it would be to change with the airline directly, so yes they do charge fees (and this is on the first page after you select the flights).

8. Re: Finding the Best Airfare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:16